New Counselor Looks to Always Give 110%

Candice Goldman joined Chamblee as a counselor this year, and she has developed a respect for the community while beginning to fit into it. As students and teachers alike get a first impression of her, she gets a first impression of the community.

“[Chamblee] is one big family, there’s a lot of Chamblee pride which I really like,” said Goldman. “I’m really enjoying getting to know the families and students.”

In her tenth year as a counselor, Goldman enters her first at Chamblee. The first couple of weeks are certainly dedicated to settling in at Chamblee, but she is also beginning to place her mark on the school. She hopes to fulfill goals on various aspects of counseling, particularly focusing on approaching each student in a unique way that is suited to his or her goals.

“My goal as a counselor is to help each of my students succeed in whatever it may be,” said Goldman. “Whether the goal is to be applying to Ivy League schools, crossing that stage for graduation, joining the military or joining the workforce.”

Her work ethic is something she believes will most benefit the school. She intends on working as much as she needs to ensure that each student is helped as much as possible. Even if it means working overtime or doing extra paperwork, she feels that it is not only a duty to students, but also something that she wants to do that fully represent why she became a counselor.

While she uses various aspects of her personality on the job, the part that is most important and forefront to her is her caring nature. This extends beyond helping students in school but into her personal life as well.

“I do really wear my heart on my sleeve,” said Goldman. “My kids know that. I’ll cry with them, I’ll laugh with them, I’ll jump up in happiness with them when they see those grades of A’s.”

Outside of her job, Goldman likes to collect vinyl records. She collects records from various types of music from folk to punk and everything in between. In fact, music plays a major part of her life in a lot of ways. Both her husband and brother are in a band, and she has managed to see her favorite band, Less Than Jake, (a ska punk band) over 50 times.

Beyond music, she also loves her Florida Gators’ football. She enjoys seeing them play every fall, especially the big Georgia-Florida game.

“I don’t go [to the game] anymore, but I enjoy watching it on my couch,” said Goldman

All in all, Goldman intends on utilizing every bit of her effort and personality in helping the students at Chamblee. While settling in during a frenzy of schedule problems can be difficult, she looks to keep it all in stride while doing all she can for her new school.