Pitch Perfect: Softball Team Keeps On Winning

Football is the main focus of sports at Chamblee Charter High School, but there is a team that has remained perfect and receives far less attention: softball.

“No one really announces or advertises it [softball]… so no one really hears about it,” said softball captain Carlin Waddell.

She also said that part of the reason why few people are able to attend the games is because they are usually held during the week. Waddell noted that the softball schedule itself is very busy. Some weeks they will have games everyday, which might consist of both home and away games. This could be confusing for people who try to keep up with the team.

However, she added that everytime a game is played at Chamblee, the game will be held at 5:30 PM. This should make it convenient for students and teachers to watch after school.

Senior Erin Grimmesey has been on the softball team for five years and has never been a part of a team this dominant in region play.

“We have mercy ruled all of our opponents so far in every regional game,” said Grimmesey.

Grimmesey has noticed some changes that she has never seen throughout her five years on the team.

“Everyone is working really well together,” she said. “In the past we have had players that you know are going to strike out when they go to bat, but we really do not have that this year.”

According to her, a lot of the players have gained confidence and are not afraid to step up to the plate. This leads to an overall better performance for the team. Seeing Grimmesey and other veterans gain confidence inspires and encourages younger teammates to play to their full potential.

Rachel Lovejoy is another captain on the softball team. She herself feels like the team is a lot stronger in certain aspects than before, specifically in batting and pitching.

“We have very strong pitching and we hit very well. Occasionally we’ll kind of falter,” she said. “But if we find our stride we will definitely get ahead in our run counts.”

Like Grimmesey, Lovejoy has also seen cooperation amongst her teammates. She feels that even with new freshmen the team has really created a special bond.

Cooperation, trust, and overall confidence in each other is vital to any sports team’s success. Chamblee Softball is figuring that out and is using it to perfect their stunning performance on the field.