Julie and the Phantoms: A Modern-Day “High School Musical” with a Spooky Twist

Ashika Srivastava, Editor

In September 2020, Netflix released the musical family drama series “Julie and the Phantoms” and even during the era of virtual school and heavy COVID-19 restrictions, it had not even been close to making my lengthy watchlist. The show had seemed like another one of those kid shows that Netflix squeezed in from time to time so I had missed it completely. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine pointed the show out to me and insisted that I watch it (shoutout to her!), so I did, and I can truly say that it was one of the best TV decisions of my life.

With the recent announcement of the show’s cancellation after just one season on Netflix, I thought I would take a break from writing angry letters and signing countless petitions to bring the show back and share just the sheer admiration I have for this show. From the insanely talented cast to the engaging plot to the quite catchy music, every aspect of the show is executed so well, and it really adds to its overall appeal, even as the corny kids show it is marketed to be.

At first sight, “Julie and the Phantoms” has a very whimsical and family-friendly plot in which sixteen-year-old Julie Molina befriends a band of ghosts who are actually an old teenage boy band, Sunset Curve, that died back in 1995 from food poisoning after they ate some bad hot dogs cooked on a car radiator. Julie ends up accidentally summoning the ghosts and finds that they can be seen by others when they play music together so she starts a new band with them, and they gain an abundance of fame and appreciation. But what I love about the plot and writing of the show is that it portrays everything in a very mature way and goes one step further with what may seem to be a show about a girl and her ghost friends. The show touches on topics like dealing with grief, navigating personal relationships, and finding oneself as a young person. There is also a very mature portrayal of a gay romantic subplot that I wouldn’t expect in a children’s show like this one but is well done nonetheless.

Kenny Ortega is the director/executive producer of the show, and that can be clearly seen when we look at the show’s amazing main and supporting cast. Ortega is a big name in the Disney film and television industry as the director of productions like “Newsies” (the film), “Hocus Pocus,” the “High School Musical” series, and the “Descendants” series. Personally, I am a huge Disney fan so I was thrilled to see actors like Jadah Marie, Cheyenne Jackson, and Booboo Stewart from the “Descendants” films back again in “Julie and the Phantoms.” Jadah Marie was amazing as the supportive best friend and Cheyenne Jackson as the mysterious owner of The Hollywood Ghost Club had me on my toes throughout the entire nine-episode series. Booboo Stewart has been a Disney constant for me since his cameo in “Good Luck Charlie” and main role in the “Descendants” series, so I expected nothing less from him as the cool skater Willie, and I was not disappointed.

I’m also a major Nickelodeon fan (I think I might just have an obsession with children’s television networks) so it was great to see Owen Patrick Joyner (from “Knight Squad” and “100 Things to Do Before High School”) portray the role of Alex, Sunset Curve’s drummer, and Savannah Lee May (“Knight Squad”) as Carrie, one of the central antagonists and lead singer of her own band, Dirty Candy.

However, the highlights of the cast are undoubtedly Charlie Gillespie as Sunset Curve’s lead singer Luke and newcomer Madison Reyes as the main protagonist Julie. Madison is simply incredible in the show and really does justice to the character of Julie. She exhibits a certain confidence and determination every time she comes on screen, and it makes me feel like we’re best friends without even knowing each other. Charlie is the same; his eyes speak for themselves and his sleeveless shirt look has already gained a massive fandom. The two of them share a small romantic subplot within the show, and they have some of the best chemistry I’ve ever seen.

I’d also like to shout out Sacha Carlson, Carrie’s boyfriend Nick and Julie’s other love interest, and Jeremy Shada, lead bass guitarist Reggie and the third member of Sunset Curve. Although they aren’t associated with any major children’s television networks, they are still important characters in the show and do a great job of embracing their characters, especially Sacha as Nick.

And last but definitely not least, the soundtrack of “Julie and the Phantoms” is what puts it over the top and makes it different from other Disney-esque kids shows about ghosts because – boy can these ghosts sing! It features original music written by songwriters such as Michelle Lewis, Erin Bowman, and Doug Rockwell who have helped produce music for artists like Hilary Duff, Cher, Asher Angel, and Sofia Wylie. All the cast members sing their own songs and Reyes shines with her unique voice and versatility. Some of my personal favorites include “Unsaid Emily,” “Perfect Harmony,” and “Finally Free,” though I’ve always got the entire soundtrack playing on loop.

If this extensive article hasn’t already encouraged you to go and give this show a watch, then here is me telling you right now to stop what you’re doing and check this show out. And after you’ve finished, go ahead and give Disney + or Hulu a phone call and ask them to consider renewing the show on one of their platforms because that cliffhanger ending will have you wanting more from Julie and her Phantoms.