Protest or Excuse?: Students Walk Out for Jena Six

Timothy Webber

From September 2007:

Chamblee High School’s colors might be blue and gold, but a recent protest had students wearing black.
On September 20th, about 30 Chamblee students, garbed in black clothes, walked out of their classes around noon, as part of a nationwide protest against what many perceive as the unjust treatment of the “Jena Six.”
“We have a right for our voice to be heard,” said Indigo Pinto.
The ethnically diverse crowd chanted slogans such as “no justice, no peace” and hailed passing cars for about 20 minutes. As students continued to join the crowd, Principal Rochelle Lowery ordered the students to return to the building.
“Our students would be better off in class or at lunch,” said Lowery.
Upon their return to the building, members of the crowd yelled out, “we did it,” as they returned to their classes. However, several teachers locked the doors to their classrooms and did not let the students return for the remainder of the period, leaving several students disgruntled.
“I was irritated,” said William Webb. “We wanted to prove a point, and they’re punishing us for it.”
Despite the disturbance, the administration said that, as long as students remained on campus, there would be no punishment.
“There will be no disciplinary action against the students,” said Lowery.
Reactions to the walkout from individual teachers have been varied, ranging from frustration at the missed instruction time to support for the cause.
“I would have let my students walk out, but nobody asked,” said Patricia Glomb, who teaches gifted English.
The so-called “Jena Six” is a group of black students in Jena, Louisiana that was charged with attempted murder after beating a white classmate during a period of heightened racial tensions in the small town.
“I think for most it was a moment to get out of class and be vociferous with more people,” said reading specialist Marti Macon-Gee.
Many students share Macon-Gee’s sentiments. An unscientific poll of 100 Chamblee students found that 52 percent of the student body thought that the walkout was simply used as an excuse to skip class; whereas 36 percent thought that the walkout occurred in genuine protest, and 12 percent believed that both causes made students walk.
“I just did it to get out of class,” said one student who wished to remain anonymous.
The national commotion over the “Jena 6” situation has led some to believe that this is the beginning of a new civil rights movement. Chamblee students, on the whole, do not share this sentiment. According to the same unscientific poll, 62 percent of Chamblee students do not believe that this is the beginning of a new civil rights movement.
Regardless of the reasons, the protesters felt they made their point and increased awareness of their cause.
“I think we were effective, but I think we would’ve been more effective with more people,” said Porshia Dix, “but I’m happy that at least one person tried.”