New Generation of Hispanics at Chamblee are Emerging

Danielle Reed

From November 2009:

“We want to prove people wrong,” said senior Analy Calvillo.
Calvillo spoke for herself and for many other students of Hispanic/Latino origin at Chamblee with her answer to why she thinks more and more Latinos are graduating from Chamblee.
Chamblee Charter High School’s graduation rates for Hispanic/Latino students are increasing. In 2008, Hispanic students in Georgia had a graduation rate of 65.5%, an increase of five points from the previous year. SAT scores for 2009 were also up. According to the Georgia Department of Education, Hispanics in Georgia scored 66 points higher than the national average.
“People are more serious about their education now more than ever,” said Major Daniel Diaz. “They actually want to succeed and do something with themselves.”
At Chamblee, the number of Hispanics/Latinos tested for the Georgia High School Graduation Test rose, and in the GHSGT area of science Hispanics with excelling scores rose from seven to 33%. Math and social studies scores also have gone up. The percentage of Hispanics/Latinos at Chamblee passing the Georgia High School Writing Test has risen, including the number of Hispanics passing in American literature and economics.
Hector Cruz, a junior and member of the Chamblee High School club Conexión Latina (Latin Connection), has been regarded by other fellow Chamblee students, Hispanic and non-Hispanic, as one of the smartest students at Chamblee. He takes Advance Placement classes and has been awarded for his high achievements in math and science. By doing so, Cruz is making many students and teachers at Chamblee very proud.
“I feel surprised when people call me one of the smartest people in school because anybody can be smart, it just depends on how you do your work,” said Cruz.
Another exceptional student, Isabel Medina, was the class of 2009’s Resident Valedictorian. Medina’s valedictorian speech was titled “Who wants to be a Millionaire?” and for a portion of the speech she spoke in Spanish.
Seniors Calvillo, Diaz, and Cruz plan on graduating and going to college. They, among many others, will be the first in their families to do so. Other Hispanic/Latino students such as senior Santiago Jerez and junior Iris Corea plan on graduating and then taking a year off for work. They plan on saving up for college and then enroll.
Then there are students like Rafael Contreras, who plan on attending Georgia Perimeter College after graduating, then transferring to another college. Contreras plans to transfer to Georgia State after one or two years at GPC.
“It [college] costs too much money,” said senior Sergio Quiroz.
One of the barriers that make some Hispanics unsure of what they are going to do after high school is money. Quiroz plans to work after high school and depending on how much he makes he will go to college.
The majority of Chamblee Hispanic/Latino students who want to go to college want to go because they want better jobs, better lives and careers for themselves. They expect more from themselves and more from others of their background.
Ana Contreras was a graduate of Chamblee last year. She attends Georgia Tech today due to a full scholarship she received from the Goizueta Foundation. The Goizueta Foundation assists organizations that empower individuals and their families through educational opportunities to improve the quality of their lives.
“I’m planning to get a scholarship to go to college,” said sophomore Keyla Pinto. “I want to accelerate my life and take it to the next level where a lot of Hispanics don’t get a chance to.”