Proven: Looks Affect Learning

Claudia Holbrook

From December 2010:

The first major test that a teacher must pass when they begin with a new class is whether or not they make a good first impression. That first impression is essential to the rest of the year, as students form judgments and opinions on the first day.

Students evaluate their teachers based on a wide range of characteristics that all lead to whether or not they will take a teacher seriously. Presence in the class as well as physical characteristics including age, dress, and even voice all play large roles in the way students shape an opinion of their teacher. As figures of authority, teachers should, in theory, automatically have respect from their students, but in high school, it seems to not work that way.

“If a teacher walks in and they’re sloppily dressed, then obviously I’m not going to hold them in high regard at first,” said junior Alexandria Robbins. “I think they should look professional.”

The way a teacher dresses tends to draw attention to how seriously they take or do not take their job. A vast majority of students form a quick impression based solely on this aspect.

“First impressions definitely depend on how they [teachers] dress,” said Hope Brown. “If they look professional, I automatically think that they know what they’re doing.”

Experience, however, does not necessarily insure respect. Veteran teachers have been doing  their job a long time, and have experienced a lot more than younger teachers, and yet are not always respected.

“I feel like when you have older teachers, kids can’t take them as seriously as they would younger teachers,” said Laura Nuttall. “We can relate better to younger teachers. I can open up more to them because they’re closer in age to me.”

But the biggest issue that high school students have with their educators is based much more on personality than looks. The presence a teacher holds in their classroom decides whether or not they will gain respect from their pupils.

“Students feel like they have to intimidate teachers to see how they react. Teachers don’t earn respect if they don’t earn respect if they don’t discipline their class. Teachers who are new or have a reputation of being a pushover can’t ever really control a classroom,” said Brown. “Intimidation is a good thing at first because it lets students know that the teacher knows what they’re doing and they’ll give the teacher respect. But after a while, teachers need to not be as intimidating because they need to be there for students and become a mentor.”

This idea of a process of intimidation to earn respect is one that the majority of students and teachers agree with. The more respect kids have for their teacher, the more control the teacher will have over their class, and more the class can get done and learn.

“Teachers HAVE to command the room,” said Amy Branca, British literature and yearbook teacher. “People have different ways of doing it. Humor, voice, intimidation. But that’s where your individual personality comes into play. The way you command the room is different than how anyone else will do it but you  must find a way to do it and keep kids’ attention. There’s a big difference between knowing information and having to teach that information to a room full of high school students.”

Although intimidation is a respected aspect, students do not want the teacher to go too far. Once students have established that respect for their teacher, they want the teacher to become more personal, but without losing the control they have over the class.

“Once I establish an initial view of a teacher, I won’t really change it because my view of a teacher I won’t really change it because my view is usually a strong opinion, especially with regard to weak/pushover teachers,” said Brown. “But with overly intimidating, mean teachers, it usually takes a couple of weeks to change that perception because they need to show me that they are willing to help me learn, not just scare me into learning. With regard to teachers with a weak presence, they can change my view by showing that they can control their classroom, and gain respect.”

Tone of voice is another huge contributor affecting whether or not a teacher can hold the attention of a class. Logically, loud teachers are usually listened to more and quiet or soft-spoken teachers are thought to be push-overs. The louder the voice, the more presence a teacher commands.

“If a teacher is quiet, then people feel like they can talk over them and not listen,” said Brown. “But those teachers with a loud voice earn respect.”

Gender also plays a part in how students react to a teacher. Even though this is not an aspect that can be controlled, students still feel like it makes an impact as to how they think of their educators.

“I feel like I can be chill with guy teachers more than girl teachers,” said Nuttall. “ I feel like I have to work in order to get on a girl teacher’s good side, and then work some more to stay there.”

How attractive a teacher is also a factor. 

“It’s different in college because you’ll have teachers who will be closer to your age,” said Branca. “You’ll go to class even if it’s just to look at them, but you also want to be respected by them. You don’t want to disappoint them.”

Although attractiveness could be distracting, it also tends to motivate students to work harder in order to please the teacher.

“You want the good looking teacher to like you,” said junior Anna Blasco. “So you try harder to please them. I always do my work whether the teacher is hot or not, but if they are then I do my work but also try to show my personality.”