Chamblee Talent Takes the Stage Again

Etta Potthoff, Reporter

In March, Chamblee hosted its first talent show following the pandemic, redeeming the years lost. No audience member was left unimpressed– it was a true showcase of both student and teacher artistry.

Mr. Wardlow, the BC Calculus teacher, opened the show with his original song, “Rich Man Blues.” The instrumental hymn took on a folk sound that was accompanied by rhythmic clapping from the crowd and set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Esperanza Garcia (‘26) was the first act to take the stage, combining spoken word and song with her melodious voice. The performance titled, “My New Philosophy” was accompanied by the piano played by Asten Hymer (‘26), which added drama. Garcia hit a couple of high notes that displayed her talent.

Andrew Zhi (‘23), a solo pianist, followed with his romantic self-composition, “My Starlight.” He described his ‘starlight’ and his night with his lover under the stars and moon, which captivated the audience completely. I heavily enjoyed his performance– his talent was evident from the combination of his melodious voice and fast-paced piano playing.

Kate Lim (‘25) was next, performing the famous “Traitor” by Olivia Rodrigo. She sported a dark red blazer and black skirt, standing out from the contestants as one of the best-dressed. The sophomore hit impressive high notes in the vocally-challenging song. She ended her performance on a perfect note, leaving the audience immersed in the heartbroken story.

Sophomores Helena Tho and Jaina Brown took the stage next, performing a KPOP dance routine, notoriously difficult, but accomplished nonetheless by the pair. They entertained with a dance rendition of “Oh, my god” by New Jeans. Their coordination was impressive, with great footwork and smooth hand movements that matched the music perfectly. Their energy was enjoyable to watch, and they were synced to the rhythm completely.

Isaiah Lyseight (‘23), the first place winner of the show, followed the dance pair with his stand-up comedy routine. He began with a “tearful” tribute to his grandma and reminisced on the joys of high school. Although his performance was comedy-centered, his routine was not unlike the dance that preceded him. Lyseight took multiple opportunities to show off his impressive dancing ability, letting the audience enjoy his energy while being both amused and impressed.

ESOL teacher Ms. Humphrey’s spoken word performance, “A Family Lost,” was a poetic remembrance of her hip-hop idols who passed. Her performance was a tribute to the tragic deaths of hip-hop artists and a remembrance of their legacies.

Charlotte Freymann (‘25) took the stage next, showcasing her professional singing talent. She hit every note perfectly, leaving the audience feeling heartbroken and in awe– one of my personal favorite performances.

Senior Demetrius Daniel performed Beethoven’s “Für Elise,” which is notoriously difficult, but he played it with ease. He made no mistakes, leaving the audience amazed at his skill.

Ayesha Shova, a senior, took the stage next, performing a rendition of “Her” by Aiden Gallighar. Her hauntingly beautiful lower pitch made the audience forget they were watching a talent show and not a professional performance.

Madison Harmon, an aspiring writer, took the stage next, performing her spoken word piece, “My Voice Before.” Her piece was a beautiful representation of her growth because of the influence of someone she called “you.” The personal performance was touching and was a true representation of how we are affected by those around us.

The night ended with the band Bark taking the stage. Their electric guitar performance was amazing, with impressive performances from both guitars and drums. Their performance was funky, cohesive, and their multi talented singer, Anna Zhai (‘23), was impressive. Midway through a song, the band transitioned to a new melody that sounded completely different, showcasing their ability as a whole.

Overall, the talent show was a night filled with impressive performances by both students and teachers showcasing their talents, making the audience laugh, feel heartbroken, and everything in between. It was a night to remember.