Will the Band Program Ever Be the Same?

Chamblee Marching Band performing stand tunes. Photo courtesy of Mariann Kersh

When people think of the band program at Chamblee, they think of marching band’s football game stand tunes and lively half-time performances. Many people don’t know the hard work and effort put into every half-time performance and stand tune—or the challenges the program is facing.
So far, marching band has only been able to perform twice during football games.
“We have not gotten a lot of time on the field due to inclement weather conditions with heat advisories and other likely related activities,” said Garrett Moore (‘25), who plays trumpet.
The weather early this season has put the marching band at a disadvantage, as they have not had a lot of practice time outside on the field, instead practicing indoors.
More importantly, the numbers of Chamblee’s marching band have been declining, especially since COVID-19.
“This is the smallest marching band we’ve ever had actually. I think we have maybe 57 people in the band,” said Liliana Sandfort (‘24), who plays the mellophone.
Some are hopeful that the numbers in Chamblee’s Marching Band will rise, as many current eighth graders have expressed interest in it. The Band Night for Chamblee’s marching band was September 8th, where students from Chamblee Middle School and Sequoia Middle School could play and experience what it means to be in marching band.
Although the numbers for the Marching Bulldogs are declining, the numbers in the Chamblee Color Guard are quickly rising, with a quarter of the marching band being color guard.
“I do think that the marching band is significantly shrinking. I personally think that this is not just a short-term thing,” said Kirsten Gabriel (‘26), who plays the picollo.
Gabriel is not the only person who believes that Chamblee’s Marching Band has not just hit a bump in the road.
“It kind of feels like it’s dying out,” said Olive Kye-Smith (‘25), a clarinet player.
Some believe the regardless of if the Marching Bulldog’s future is good or bad, it will never lose its unique atmosphere.
“I know that our community with our parents and everyone involved with the marching band is really positive. Everyone loves seeing our progress and our growth towards second places at competitions,” said Colleen Marin, the director of the marching band. To Marin, the atmosphere around marching band is filled with caring and kind people who would love for anyone to join.
The Marching Bulldogs are a caring, hardworking community that puts on skilled performances. They will not let the size of their band put them at a disadvantage through competitions, performances, and practices.