My Top Ten Christmas Songs

Yet another holiday playlist. Image by Eli Ritchey

After Thanksgiving, Christmas songs are a staple for Americans. Whether walking through the mall, listening to the radio, or listening to your recommended songs on your platform of choice, Christmas songs are hard to avoid. By the end of December, you will be sick of them, and you will be humming “Jingle Bells” in the middle of June. That is how Christmas music works. However, since it is the festive season, no one will give you a look for belting out your favorite Christmas song. Here are 10 of mine:

1. Frosty the Snowman (1963) – The Ronettes

This simple yet melodic music walks listeners through the life of a jolly snowman named Frosty. The song tells of this simplistic snowman making children throughout the town happy, and the song shows that anyone can make Christmas special by being joyful. Then, lyrics like “don’t you cry I’ll be back again someday” show the love Frosty has for these children. He sets him being melted aside to comfort the children he cares for. What else better demonstrates the spirit of Christmas? Plus, the song is catchy.

1. White Christmas (1942) – Bing Crosby

This slow piece is the perfect song to sit by a fireside and drink hot chocolate to. That might be why it is the best-selling Christmas song ever. This piece also has a backstory that makes listening to it all the more meaningful. Irving Berlin, who wrote the lyrics sung by Bing Crosby, created this song in remembrance of his son who had died on Christmas a couple years prior. Looking through this reminiscent lens brings a different perspective to the music such as in the third stanza:

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas

Just like the ones I used to know

Where treetops glisten and children listen

To hear sleigh bells in the snow

This added depth to the song makes it not only a Christmas classic, but a reminder of all the loved ones we have lost.

1. O Holy Night (2007) – Carrie Underwood

In 1843, “O Holy Night” was a poem written in French by Placide Cappeau to celebrate the renovation of a church in France. The poem was turned into a song in 1847. However, once it was learned that Cappeau was an atheist, “O Holy Night” was controversial in churches around the world, and it is still banned in some churches to this day. In Carrie Underwood’s “O Holy Night,” the melody is played by a piano accompanied by a stringed orchestra, and Underwood holds the long melodious lyrics perfectly. These long breathtaking lyrics make the song a treat to listen to.

1. Jingle Bell Rock (1957) – Bobby Helms

“Jingle Bell Rock” not only has one of the most notable intros out of all Christmas songs, but this song is upbeat and overall a fun song to listen to. With the sleigh bells in the background and an electric guitar playing in the warm key of D Major it is hard not to be happy while listening to this song.

1. You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch (1966) – Thurl Ravenscroft

This is by far the most notable song in the 1966 animated movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas. However, its notoriety does not come from the normal warm, heartfelt lyrics that are found in most Christmas songs. Instead, the cleverly written lyrics by Dr. Seuss, in his typical style, adds a playful descriptive tune to describe the sole hater of Christmas. Not only does this song make you think of the classic Christmas film, but listeners can’t help but smile at the random vile descriptions of the “three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich” otherwise known as the Grinch.

1. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (1963) – Andy Williams

This song seems to be the song of choice for amusement parks in the Winter. Whether it is because of the warm melody or the happy lyrics, William’s song makes you excited for Christmas. With the title and most repeated lyric calling Christmas the most wonderful time of the year it is hard not to think about gifts, snow, hot chocolate, and all the other loved parts of the festive season.

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (1944) – Frank Sinatra

This song by Frank Sinatra, whose name alone sets this song aside, is reminiscent of the “golden days” akin to “White Christmas.” However, Sinatra’s voice makes listeners resonate with the central theme of moving towards better times, and he uses Christmas to symbolize a time to relax and be merry. This song is also a great choice to enjoy on a cold Christmas night as the slower tempo and drawn out words create a relaxing vibe.

1. Holly Jolly Christmas (2011) – Michael Bublé

The song makes your head bob and your foot tap. What else do you want in a song? Also, the electric guitar solo in the middle is a fun addition rarely seen in other Christmas songs. It is hard not to have a holly, jolly Christmas while listening to this song.

1. All I Want for Christmas is You (2023) – Jordan Mailita

This recent song released by the Philly Specials is a spinoff of Mariah Carey’s version. In this take, the Philadelphia Eagle’s tight end, Jordan Mailita, sings the vocals. For some reason this tight end is not just a professional football player, but he can sing as well. Overall, this song is just a unique take on a Christmas season go-to.

1. Santa Baby (1953) – Ertha Kitt

If you have ever gone Christmas shopping, you have heard this song tens to hundreds of times. The catchy lyrics and Eartha Kitt’s soft voice make this song a popular Christmas pop classic especially for the stores that play it on repeat. Even the concept of the singer asking for expensive presents from the older rich man in her life seems ideal for anyone wanting a gift. Especially the people currently in a store, prime marketing.