Breaking News

My Verdict on Adulthood (as someone who turned 18 two weeks ago)

The author with her birthday cake the day she became an adult (on paper at least).

Lottery tickets. A can of spray paint. A Costco membership card. I couldn’t buy any of those things on April 10th, 2024. I couldn’t vote or join the military. The next day, I was suddenly an eligible bachelorette for Leo DiCaprio. How come I didn’t feel any different? 

So far, it’s underwhelming. Buying a scratch-off is no different from getting a soda from a vending machine. Spray paint is way more expensive than I thought it would be. There isn’t any immediate excitement or independence. My parents still pay the phone bill. I still live in my house and wear shirts that have fit me since the seventh grade. My reflection has always been me, and I’ve always been a kid. That didn’t change overnight, despite the fact that I can get a tattoo or a wedding license. I’d just be a kid with a tramp stamp. A child bride, at least in my eyes.

Even though I’m technically an “adult” now, I don’t think there’s any way of telling when I’ll actually become one. I know people who were adults long before they turned 18. It all depends on how quickly a person grows up. My mom grew up faster than anyone else I know. She must’ve been an adult by the time she was 16. I also know “adult” children. People, more than anything else, are products of their environments. My environment has provided me with the luxury of staying a kid throughout my teen years. I’m still a kid, and I intend to stay one until I absolutely must grow up. I’m very lucky to have that choice. 

By definition, adults are people who have reached their full growth or maturity. I stopped getting taller when I was 15, but my brain will keep developing well into my 20’s. Mentally, I’ve still got some time. I still feel like I’m 15. I laugh at farts, and I choose to watch Regular Show. How do I have a say in deciding the next president? I don’t feel ready for everything that I suddenly have access to. I don’t know when I will.

It’s almost scarier that my peers are also becoming “adults.” People can change as they grow up, but they stay the same for the most part. I’ve looked at my best friends for years. When did they get taller? When did the baby fat leave their faces? When did their laughs change? Why can they suddenly register for OnlyFans?

In a word, being an “adult” is weird. It’s hard for me to have much more of an opinion on it at this point. I’ll revisit when I’ve decided that I’ve actually become one. I’ll probably still be watching Regular Show, though.