Chamblee Reunions: A Gathering of the Best of Us

Members of the CCHS class of 1996 gather for a photo. Photo courtesy of Jovan Weatherly.

Camille Crumbley, Staff writer

High school is an important and special time in a person’s life, even after the school years come to an end. Reunions offer former students the chance to revisit the past and see where classmates are now.

Chamblee High School reunions are usually held every five to ten years, but it’s up to the class when they get together. Traditionally, former student government associations members and class presidents organize the reunions. However, other class members can organize and plan the reunions if they wish to.

“We had our 10 year reunion at 57th fighter Group on Clairmont,” said alumna and science teacher Renee Pascale. “Typically former SGA students like to hold it somewhere close to the school.”

Reunions are usually held at event spaces and restaurants in the Chamblee area.

“There are some classes, especially the older classes, I’ve found that like doing things in the Chamblee area because they want to see the area,” said alumna and special education teacher Jovan Weatherly. “They’re nostalgic about it. Some of them want to see the new school, some of them want to visit places in the neighborhood that they haven’t seen in thirty years.”

Former students socialize, eat, and dance while they catch up. Sometimes teachers will even show up.  

“It was great because my best friend and I went together. I’ve known her since first grade and we’re still good friends,” said Pascale. “We got krunk.”

Depending on the age of the class, reunions can center around family-friendly outings or going out to bars together. Sometimes the classes will get together at the Homecoming tailgate.

Weatherly was part of the planning for her class reunion and started a new tradition.

“I started the alumni tailgate to attract alumni specifically through the Blue and Gold Foundation,” said Weatherly. “And that was me shooting for alumni to just come back and support the school and the football team while gathering together. I just like bringing people together.”

Weatherly enjoys going to both her own class reunion and well as the reunion for the class before her.

“I got to see a lot of old friends,” said Weatherly. “My favorite part of the reunions is everyone gathering for a positive occasion, just bringing up good memories, and it’s a chance for everyone to celebrate each other.”

However, reunions do not always happen for each class. Oftentimes they get canceled due to low participation.

“Who shows up depends on the planning and the people in that class,” said Weatherly. “I’ve seen reunions that had three or four people, reunions that get canceled because they have such low participation. I saw the class of 2008 the other day at the homecoming tailgate had to have like thirty-five people at least.”

Weatherly also feels that there is not as big of an urgency for people to gather at reunions due to social media allowing people to track others down more easily.

“I think that Facebook maintains connections that might otherwise lose as you age,” said Weatherly. “I think it also has kind of negatively impacted reunions because it used to be that people go to reunions because they were kind of nosy like, ‘I wonder what that person’s up to’ or ‘I wonder how they look’ and Facebook can answer all those questions for you or you can meet them for lunch in between.”

Nevertheless, reunions are a wonderful time to bring together old friends.

“I think when you’re in high school you’re really caught up on superficial things and it’s cool to come back as adults and you realize you have more in common than you thought you had differences,” said Weatherly. “Everyone has a good time with each other.”