Chamblee Seniors Elect to Help Others Register to Vote

Photo courtesy of courtesy of @chamfirst2first.

A post from the First To First Instagram page.

Shay Martin, Staff Writer

Chamblee First2First is an online group run by multiple Chamblee seniors. The group’s main goal is to make sure that all chamblee seniors are registered to vote before the upcoming 2020 election.

“Our goal is to increase the voter turnout for people near our age group, like 18-22. We’ve had a history of having pretty low voter turnout despite being otherwise politically active, and we’re hoping to change that,” said group captain Anna McKinzey.

The group is currently in contact with Mrs. Barnes, who they hope to get a list with the names and emails of all seniors who are 17 and a half or older, and sending out a nonpartisan mass email to all of those students, to make sure they are registered to vote, and know how to vote when the election comes around.

“As a citizen of this country, voting is one of the biggest ways to use your voice to make any changes you wish to see. Regardless of political opinion, it’s no secret that this upcoming presidential election will be a turning point for our country, and it’s important that everyone feels represented,” said McKinzey.

The group was started when a group of  Chamblee seniors were approached by a senior at Emory named Emily Kastenberg, who had done previous work in getting others to vote at the Democratic Coordinated Campaign in Arizona this last summer. 

“A high school volunteer had an idea to organize Arizona high schools to register others at their schools to vote. Through conversations with him, I was inspired to create a program in Georgia that would mobilize youth voters while eliminating the barricades I encountered through my work in Arizona,” said Kastenberg.

Currently, the group is mostly online, on their instagram @chamfirst2first. They post infographics on their story relating to the importance of voting and being registered to vote. 

“Instagram is a powerful way to communicate especially in a time where everything is online because you can get a big reach and it’s something teens are interested in,” said another senior captain, Hope Collins.

After the election, the group will continue to make sure anyone above seventeen and a half years old will be registered to vote. 

“We plan to keep helping people register to vote throughout the year because there will always be a next election and as people become 17 and 1/2 they can register,” said Collins.