The Perfect Recipe for Cookie Dough Lovers

Add as many chocolate chips as you like! Photo by Amalee McWaters

One thing about me is that I love a good chocolate chip cookie. And there is something more enjoyable about baking the cookie yourself than buying it from the store. One of my favorite parts is having a few bites of the dough before it goes into the oven. But, this can give you salmonella, so I would not recommend it, no matter how tempting it is. However, if you are a cookie dough lover like me, I have the perfect edible cookie dough recipe that is safe to eat and delicious. In just five simple steps with seven simple ingredients, you will be enjoying some of the most delicious cookie dough of all time.

I won’t keep it from you any longer, so without further ado, here is my modified version of Ben & Jerry’s edible cookie dough.

Ingredients 

• One stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter at room temperature (this is important so that it is easy to mix. My recommendation is to microwave it for a few seconds.) 
  • 1 cup of brown sugar (packed)
  • 2 tbsp milk or heavy cream (any non-dairy substitute will work as well. I use oat milk)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • Chocolate chips (use as much or as little as you want!)

I also like to add chai extract, but it can be hard to find. However, if you want to try this, I like to use around 2 tsp of chai extract for a little extra spice.

Tools

• Microwave safe bowls 
  • Medium size mixing bowl
  • Whisk, stand-mixer, hand-mixer, or equivalent
  • Measuring tools
  • Microwave 

Now, before we start mixing, it is essential to make sure that you complete every step. Some steps included, like number one, for example, that are crucial for flavor, your health, and safety! With that being said, don’t stress. This should be a fun activity!

Gather the ingredients, and let’s begin making the cookie dough without delay!

1. Heat treat the flour. Add the flour to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for two thirty-second intervals, stirring in between. This step is crucial so that the flour does not contain any contaminants that make it unsafe to eat.
  2. In a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Using a whisk for this step will take a while, and you will certainly get an arm workout.
  3. Add the vanilla, milk, salt (and chai extract if you choose). Mix until all ingredients are combined. Add in the heat-treated flour and mix until fully incorporated. 

4. Fold in the chocolate chips. Again, use however much you want!

Lastly, enjoy your delicious sweet treat. You deserve it!