MARTA: Best Transportation in Atlanta?

Sophia+Kearns+%2826%29+and+friend+at+the+MARTA+station+on+the+way+to+a+basketball+game.+Photo+courtesy+of+Sophia+Kearns.+
Sophia Kearns (’26) and friend at the MARTA station on the way to a basketball game. Photo courtesy of Sophia Kearns.

The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) is a vital transportation center that offers numerous benefits to residents and visitors in Atlanta. MARTA is Atlanta’s combined bus, rail, and streetcar transit system. With its convenient accessibility, reliable service, and environmental friendliness, MARTA is a game-changer for some people who reside in Atlanta.

Students at Chamblee believe there are many benefits of using MARTA.

“You can get [to] places faster since there’s no traffic to worry about, and it’s pretty affordable,” said Sophia Kearns (‘26). 

MARTA connects different areas of Atlanta, making travel faster and an option available to many.

“Going to downtown Atlanta is easily accessible by MARTA,” said Hanna Wasse (‘26). “All the stadiums, arenas, and the tourist attractions [that] are popular to visit.”

MARTA tickets are also a cost-effective alternative for some, with prices being lower than other modes of transportation.

“I think [MARTA is] pretty accessible to everyone because the tickets are reasonably priced,” said Wasse.

Despite using MARTA, some are not well-versed in how to use this mode of transportation.

“I don’t really know how [MARTA] works, I usually just take the train with my parents and they direct me,” said Wasse.  

For others unsure of how it works, using MARTA is fairly simple since it’s designed to be accessible to all residents. With its four service lines, MARTA operates primarily within the Atlanta perimeter. While bus routes and rail lines do extend beyond the Interstate 285 loop, the majority of the routes and lines run within the perimeter. MARTA trailers run north, south, east, west, and northwest. All five lines connect at the Five Points station in downtown Atlanta.

To use MARTA, you need to buy a Breeze ticket or card at any Breeze vending machine in MARTA stations, RideStores, or online at https://www.breezecard.com/. Once you get a ticket or card, you can purchase your fare directly from a Breeze vending machine using credit cards, debit cards, or “stored value” on your Breeze card. Fare types depend entirely on how you plan to ride and where you’re going. For a one-way trip, MARTA fares are $2.50.

You can visit https://www.itsmarta.com/fare-programs.aspx to find out the prices depending on your destination. MARTA now also allows you to plan a trip online here: https://www.itsmarta.com/planatrip.aspx. By entering your start destination and final destination, they will give you options on which trip is quickest and the fares associated with them.

Additionally, MARTA offers various mobile apps that many students at Chamblee recommend getting before planning your trips.

“Some tips I recommend are to plan your route in advance to know where you’re going, download the MARTA app (MARTA ATL) which is really helpful, and check the online schedule to make sure there aren’t any delays,” said Summer Palmer (‘27).

With its wide range, students believe MARTA is beneficial when you don’t want to get stuck in traffic.

“I feel that MARTA is very accessible for everyone. MARTA has various stations around central areas that connect Georgia,” said Nick Jovanovic (‘27).

Many students at Chamblee have found success when it comes to using MARTA.

“My favorite thing about using MARTA is that my mom doesn’t have to drive, and it’s a quicker way to [travel] since you don’t have to worry about traffic,” said Kearns. “It’s also fun—I like riding the train.”

Some students prefer to use MARTA for environmental reasons.

“I think using MARTA is a better option than driving for economic reasons, and it’s better for the environment,” said Sydney McMillan (‘27). “When using trains, you get cars off the street, therefore limiting the pollutants in the air.”

When it comes to the MARTA transportation system, it is like a reliable friend to help you navigate the city hassle-free, and with no traffic. Whether you’re going to a basketball game, going to work, or just exploring the city, MARTA has your back. So next time you’re planning your daily commutes, don’t forget to consider hopping on the MARTA. Enjoy the convenience, save some time, and enjoy the ride!