Chamblee’s Production of Chicago Receives Dazzling Reviews!

Chamblee OnStage performing in Chicago the Musical: Teen Edition. Photo Courtesy of Sydney Grove (’24)

Chamblee OnStage recently performed four shows of Chicago the Musical: Teen Edition on the 22, 23, and 24 of February, sparking discussions among many Chamblee students. Before the show, students were buzzing with excitement.

“I’m so excited. I know that the show is going to be good because my friends are in it, though the extent of what I know about the show is from Ginny & Georgia, where they performed a scene [from Chicago],” said Zoe McNeil (‘26).

Though some students have never seen the Chicago the Musical before, they are excited to hang out with friends at the show. 

Silhouette of Olivia Grove (’24), who played lead role Velma Kelly.
Photo Courtesy of Sydney Grove (’24)

“I’m very excited to go see it, because I’m seeing it with a lot of friends. I’ve heard a little bit of the soundtrack for Chicago and I liked it, so I’m looking forward to the show,” said Lia Tran (‘27).

After watching the musical, students’ favorite moments varied from “Cell Block Tango” to “They Both Reached For the Gun.”

“I liked [“They Both Reached for the Gun”] because it was really catchy and the ventriloquist element was pretty cool,” said Caleb Gurbaxani (‘26).

Others liked the song “Cell Block Tango” for its interesting stories and acting choices.

“I liked all of the acting in the number and the funny descriptions of why they murdered their husbands,” said Emi Sarago (‘25).

Students felt that everyone in the audience seemed to be invested and engaged with the show.

“I think everyone was pretty energetic. There was a lot of clapping, whistling, and cheering from the audience. It was clear that they really like it,” said Ben Amaya (‘25).

The show itself was a success, impressing students on the many technical aspects of the show. Cora Scherrer (‘26) was particularly amazed at how student-run the production was.

I thought it was cool that it was all student-led, especially the pit [orchestra],” said Scherrer.

Overall, the show was a great success among both students and teachers.

“I just thought it was well put together. I thought it was well thought out both by Miss Lirette and the student director Sydney Grove,” said Erin Myers-Beck (‘26). “Plus, all the actors did amazing. I thought it was just a really good show.”

View Comments (1)