The Heated Microwave Situation

Chamblees cafeteria and one of the few working microwaves

Photo Courtesy of Luiza Douglas

Chamblee’s cafeteria and one of the few working microwaves

Luiza Douglas, Senior Editor

With lunches A and C being the most populated, the microwaves are a hot pot of frenzy. From gossip to small talk being exchanged, the small space jammed between the five vending machines seems to have become a sort of a social hub. Conversations spark about how inconvenient the microwaves are, how long they aim to heat up their food for, and how cramped they all are.

“I just feel like the situation is terrible,” said Madison Maxey (‘23).

The long lines daily can lead to feelings of injustice, or at least annoyance.

“I feel like people should wait their turn and not cut in front of each other because it’s just not fair,” said Maxey.

Newcomers have become distraught and frustrated with the situation. Have the microwaves become a wild west?

“The microwaves are like a crazy free for all,” said Julisa Moore (‘25).

Five microwaves take up space on the counter, but only two are operable, an odd ratio.

“It just doesn’t make any sense. Cause like you have all these microwaves, but only two of them work,” said Maxey.

During the more crowded lunch periods, people even reach the point of shoving in an attempt to reduce the time spent in the small space.

In consequence, curse words are thrown about. When observed on September ninth, long strings of obscenities filled the small atmosphere, and from the students’ minimal reaction, it seems as if it was a normal occurrence for students to get as heated as their meals.

To top it off, the cleanliness of the microwaves is up for debate.

“They seriously need to clean them,” said Moore.

Imagine this, flies soar above the microwaves dodging the hands of frustrated and grossed out students. With the mix of aromas creating a nauseating scent, the flies are thriving with the crust buildup on the counters and days old food scraps on the floor. Students rush to cover their food.

“You sure you don’t want to put a top on that? Those microwaves are nasty.” said Makayla Williams (‘24) to a fellow microwave user.

With the microwaves being far from perfect, the students are getting more than heated.

“Get more [microwaves] and make them clean!” said Lilly Smith (‘24).

With this message, students hope to send a micro ‘wave’ to the administration for there to be more usable and clean microwaves in the future.