Are Chamblee Crazies actually crazy?

Leah Gregory

From November 2007:

“Let’s go Bulldogs, let’s go!” is a common cheer screamed from hundreds of throats every Friday night at North DeKalb Stadium. The stands are packed with paint-splattered faces, raspy-voiced, Chamblee Crazies shirt-wearing fans all supporting a playoff-bound football team.
“If you recall attendance at games before the Crazies, it was low,” said senior Max Mitchell (‘08).
The graduating class of 2004-2005 conjured up the Chamblee Crazies group to pour in support for all sports. The idea was to attend as many games as possible for as many sports as possible, however, this idea quickly faded as the founding class graduated.
“They never came to our softball games,” said junior Katie Penland (‘09). “They only go to the guys’ sports.”
The concern for equality for all is not only coming from neglected athletes, but teachers as well.
“It (Crazies attendance) would be awesome,” said golf head coach Kurt Koeplin. “ I love the Crazies, but no one ever comes to watch golf except for parents.”
The Crazies’ attendance has increased dramatically this year for volleyball, despite being a traditionally all-girl sport.
“We try to be the students that are supporters of all groups,” said Crazies officer Zach Walldorff.
The problem, however, may not be the fact that members are choosing to attend popular sports like football, but simply because of the lack of members. The number of members currently stands at around 50.
“They are trying to get members and I understand why they raised the dues,” said a senior who wished to remain anonymous, “but I think that the $20 is why no one wants to join now.”
On the other hand, some students see the Crazies as the founders intended them to.
“I love them,” said junior Warren Norma. “They are perfectly fine the way they are.”
Others may disagree, stating that storming the field at the Dunwoody game and some of the rude chants stated at football games show that the crazies are, in fact, not crazy but rather mean.
“A misconception that a lot of people have is that the Crazies do a lot of bad things that happen, but they don’t,” said senior Jordan Lisvosky (‘08), “It is individuals that say, ‘let’s storm the field.’ I mean some Crazies are involved, but it’s not them as a group.”
The Crazies aren’t shy when it comes to their voice regarding their defense, and speak out about the bias associated with them. They also recognize that indeed something needs to be done.
“We are trying to change things and change takes time,” said Crazies officer Sam Gloves. “We are up to almost 50 members; we would rather have a strong and supportive small group than meaningless numbers. We want it to be a big deal to be Crazy, not just, ‘yeah. I bought a t-shirt.’”
A point system has been included to motivate their members to attend upcoming games, not just the popular ones like football and basketball. And so fellow students can tell the previous members from the new ones, the shirt color has switched from blue to yellow.
Recently, due to the newfound popularity of the club, teachers and parents have shown interest and enthusiasm, and have expressed interest in buying a shirt, too. There have been plans to make an addition to the shirts with teacher and parents versions.
“It is a good thing that gets more people to more sports,” said sophomore Crazies initiate Sarah Schilling (‘10). “When swim season and gymnastics start, the Crazies will show up.”