Breaking News
  • May 1BLUE & GOLD SPIRIT NIGHT AT PANERA BREAD ON NORTH DRUID HILLS ROAD 4-8 PM TODAY!

Why “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” is my favorite book series

“Good Girls Guide to Murder” trilogy. Photo courtesy of Anna Kate Flood

One of my favorite book series is “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson; a murder mystery trilogy made up of, “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder,” “Good Girl, Bad Blood,” and “As Good as Dead.” The story starts with a girl named Pip who researches a murder mystery for a school project and tries to solve it as well. She goes through many obstacles to be able to solve the mystery and learns many new things about the world she really lives in.

When I read the first book, I read it all in one sitting because it was so good. Each chapter ended with a cliff hanger and I always wanted to keep reading. Before reading this book I never read much but this series really turned that around for me. I loved “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” because it was really easy to read and it was very interesting. This book had romance, mystery, and thriller aspects all together which really made it fun to enjoy. 

The second book, “Good Girl, Bad Blood,” wasn’t nearly as good as the first, but was still amazing. I loved how the story continued the mystery but had a separate plotline as well. Most of the time, I find that sequels aren’t good because they are too similar to the original, but I didn’t find that to be the case in this situation. I love the writing style of this author because she is able to tell the story very well while making it interesting and adding plot twists. She makes connections to previous parts of the book and is very detailed in the writing.

The final book in the trilogy is by far the best one. It was very intricately plotted and very well thought-out. The story had two storylines that connected at the end so it ended up seeming very full circle. The character development of Pip and Ravi (another character) throughout the entire series is very wholesome; I love how the author is able to show how their experiences really changed them and made them who they are. 

Surprisingly, each book was different enough from each other so it never got to be repetitive. The author used foreshadowing really well throughout the books to tell the story and she was very thoughtful when coming up with each plot. In addition, one of my favorite parts about these books was being able to watch the romance between Ravi and Pip grow as they experienced more together.