Breaking News

Seventeen sucks

Seventeen+sucks

So far in my lifetime, my favorite age has been 16. Sixteen is the peak teenage year– you are able to have fun with friends, dip your feet in responsibility, and not worry about the future with the added bonus of having a driver’s license. Sixteen is the year of teenagehood where you get to enjoy being a teenager– the first taste of independence is by far the best. At this age you can finally drive, get a job, or open a bank account, and if you feel so inclined you would even be able to change your name or get married! Most 16-year-olds are sophomores and juniors in high school, the peak years where you are able to be friends with the underclassman at school, as well as the older seniors. Sixteen is a year of firsts, fun, and friends.

Seventeen, on the other hand, is simply a filler year. It has all the independence of 16 such as driving and working a job, except the excitement surrounding these freedoms is worn off and used. To me, 17 was a year of college applications, homework, senior year stress, and a lot of work. This year is filled with the responsibilities of paying for gas, college tours, and being the oldest– the emptiness of the familiar upperclassman looms over the school year. Seventeen is a year of endings: the last sports seasons, school dances, and time spent with the people you grew up with. 

My age 17 has been filled with looking forward to 18– the year full of the newfound excitement of adulthood. As a summer birthday, I have been waiting my whole senior year to become a legal adult, and age 18 has the potential to be the best year yet. The first thing I hope to do with my sense of adulthood is skydive— at age 18 I am legally allowed to jump out of a plane and embark on this fun-filled, adrenaline pumping activity! Another milestone I am personally excited about is being able to serve alcohol legally; at ages below 18 working as a server or bartender is nearly impossible. On top of new job availability in restaurants, the role of Doordashing and taxi driving is now an option as well! I am also excited about 18-year-olds’ ability to travel wherever I want, whenever I want– the independence of this age brings with it the ability to book my own hotel room, plane ticket, and Airbnb room. These are not the only new purchases I can make, however. I am anxious to purchase my first lottery tickets, Costco cards, fireworks, and spray paints– what else can one ask for? Legal adulthood opens up a whole new realm of opportunities: I can vote, legally adopt a human being, join the military…. This age truly unbinds me from the restraints of 17. If you are a fellow 17 year old who is scared of the fast approaching year ahead, don’t be. Look to adulthood with excitement instead– 17 sucks, 18 is nothing to dread!