Breaking News
  • May 20BLUE & GOLD DEFEATS CHAMHIAN, 6-3, IN ANNUAL KICKBALL GAME!

The Greatest Woman (in my eyes)

Me and my mom at my quince. Photo submitted by Teresita Trujillo

As March comes to an end, we have recognized this month women who have done much for the society that we live in today. It has not always been like that. But things have changed and women have fought for what is theirs rightfully. I can go in-depth about the most recognized women figures in our society from Rosa Parks, who was a part of the civil rights movement, to Eleanor Roosevelt, the greatest First Lady of the United States. But for me, I know a woman who has always been there and whom I’ve learned so much from. My mom.

I’ve seen her best and worst days and she’s also seen mine. She not only brought me up but also showed me that one can overcome their own hell. Women have always been undervalued and that is still the case, but now people demonstrate and fight for what is correct. What is even worse though, is women in minority groups. Back in the early 2000s my mom immigrated from Mexico seeking better opportunities for herself and for her family. She came to Georgia. She worked and was paid minimum wage but that sufficed her until she had me.  She then had to work more to have a more stable home for me but also had to seek a different job that would pay her a “better” amount. She did not find anything better so she settled at a job at a factory. 

She later had my two younger brothers. Now she has three children whom she has to take care of. She could take care of me when it was just the two of us, but now she had to search for a babysitter. She found one and, as far as I can remember, every day at six in the morning she would wake us up, get us ready, make our food, and then drop us off. I did not see her until four, five, and sometimes six in the evening.

Much of my earlier memories of her were her going to work, returning home, cooking, spending time with us, and then we’d sleep. Not the best but at least we were fed and had a roof over us. She sacrificed herself to give us everything that we now have. She taught me to be responsible and to be hard-working. I may slack off sometimes but then I remember why I am even trying.

As I grew older, I understood the bearing of hardships. I understood why sometimes she couldn’t play house with me. It was because she had to pay rent, pay bills, cook, and above all take care of herself… I understood why she got tired from running and walking but that did not stop her from taking care of her kids. She wanted the best for us and still does. She is wonderful, patient, and brave. She is what a mother is and the picture of what a strong woman is. To uphold herself even when not everything is going her way, even when she is struggling she doesn’t show it for her family. She puts us above herself. I adore her and always will.