Breaking News

Georgia Avenue Extension and Destruction

A scene from the Georgia Avenue Extension underway near the author’s home. Photo by Addison Lyons

Unlike some, I have resided in my home for my entire life. My family and I have lived on the same street with mostly the same people. My neighborhood has multiple large forest areas that are home to an abundance of species and plants. This year, however, we have encountered a disruption, and a new project has started that has disrupted our delicate ecosphere. Developers have purchased a group of lots that, unfortunately, have resulted in rehoming an entire habitat and forest full of different animals and plants. Not only has this disrupted the animals, but humans as well. 

The Town of Brookhaven is funding a new project called the Georgia Avenue Extension project, and our neighborhood has been inordinately affected by this project. As we have seen, this project has cut down a large portion of the forest, if not all of it. There have been rumors that Brookhaven is attempting to make a road to connect to Lynwood Park, possibly for effortless access to the recreation building and park in that area. However, it has been confirmed that the road is supposed to connect to four parcels onto Georgia Avenue. The project had been delayed due to COVID-19 and supply-chain issues. The extension was already in motion before the city had been built, so there is no possible way to stop the project from continuing. A noticeable lack of details has been given to those residing around the construction site, leaving all Brookhaven’s citizens in the dust. I have searched the internet for information about this project, yet I still get nothing. 

As of late, I have noticed the frequent distress this causes people in my neighborhood. Neighbors frequently complain about construction trucks entering the undisturbed environment and the tumultuous sound these vehicles create. This project has cultivated multiple complaints from people, and it causes enormous distress for the animals as well. I am increasingly demoralized by the various animals I see wandering around the neighborhood without a home. The animals that once resided in that forest have now migrated into our neighbors’ yards, my family’s yard, and the streets. During August and September, my family was met with deer in our yard, foxes roaming the streets, and screeching sounds of coyotes nearby. Often, my family hears the cries of the coyotes in the night; not a very pleasant sound, might I add. Also, my dad is often displeased with the deer because they eat the plants on our lawn. The relocation of their homes harms the animals and those in our neighborhood who want to protect their yard and plants.

I feel nothing but displeasure with the Town of Brookhaven because this wouldn’t happen if we could pass laws supporting our forests, wildlife habitats, and the welfare of Brookhaven’s citizens. If the government could take both the need for housing and the respect for the environment around us, most projects and construction would gain more positive feedback, and the animals wouldn’t be without a home. I have witnessed similar things with deer, owls, foxes, falcons, coyotes, and other wildlife animals. Time and time again, I see these animals wandering, searching for another place to call home. Seeing animals without a home is genuinely disheartening to experience from an outsider’s perspective because these animals and plants desire and deserve a home just as humans do. 

The scarcity of caring for animals and humans also resonates with the conspiracy/philosophy that the government makes commitments yet does not fulfill or complete what it says it will do. On many occasions, we hear in the news that the government promises to better our environment and genuinely care for the world’s issues, such as climate change, overpopulation, drought, famine, etc. Politics isn’t just about politics but instead money. The new project happening in my neighborhood has inspired me to do everything I can to support the animals and wildlife in my community.

Since then, I have become more conscious of my carbon footprint and what it means to be environmentally conscious. If the government proves over and over again that animal and habitat welfare is inconsequential, then I think it is essential that humans attempt to help as much as they can. I have started eliminating all plastic from my lunches and snacks, trying to take my charging cables out as soon as the device has charged, and turning off fans and lights immediately when I leave a room. Small things to you will end up helping you and the environment in the long run. 

Overall, as I continue to live and observe the events and changes in my neighborhood, it encourages me to do better and to focus my priorities on the current happenings in the environment and my community. Since I cannot stop this Georgia Avenue Extension project from tearing down all the habitat and wildlife homes in the area, I can only attempt to help outside of that. Each day, as I continue to better myself and learn, I can educate myself on how to help my surrounding communities despite the government’s actions.