Headed Down to the Cafeteria for Lunch? Here’s What to Look For.

The author posing with her school lunch. Submitted photo

As an infamous lover of school lunch, from the start of kindergarten, let’s just say I’ve perfected my palate. Though I still wake up and mourn the Asian chicken bites every day, some other options come close to its excellence. Starting with some entrees: be sure to look out for the nachos, classic galaxy pizza, and the annual Thanksgiving feast. For some sides, always go for the fruits and beans, but NEVER the coleslaw. Mark my words. And finally, every lunch needs a drink to compliment the delicate flavors the meal holds. For this, opt for strawberry milk (you’ll see why). 

An entrée introduced to me by a friend, the cafeteria nachos may not look the best but they introduce a lot more flavor than you would expect from a school lunch. Served in steps, the layering of the chips, meaty beef, and creamy cheese creates the perfect atmosphere for the chips to soften up, reducing the saltiness, for the perfect bite. A classic school lunch entity, the galaxy pizza, will always earn a spot on this list. The pizza has the perfect ratio. With around 60% bread, 20% cheese, and 20% salsa, the pizza is crafted for nostalgia. Being a little mediocre, yet consistent, is what makes the round slice perfect 24/7. Finally, for a touch of holiday cheer, the most desired meal of my year has, and will always be, the school Thanksgiving entrees. Consisting of roasts with rolls and holiday ham, the festive lunch always kicks off the coming four weeks of pure nostalgic eating. The roasts the cafeteria serves consistently come with the perfect amount of gravy that allows for a forkful of roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans to be coated in it. 

Moving on to the sides, the cafeteria carries the perfect options for a balanced meal. Resisting the urge to take the unopened tin of canned pears sitting as a decoration on top of the steel encasings, my personal favorites will always include the fruit cups, but only the ones with a lot of pears, cherries, and peaches. This is key as the mix allows for a diverse flavoring, but also a coolness that is often needed with more hefty entrees like the nachos and pizza. In addition, the beans as they harness the sweetness any level-headed Southerner can expect from the side. The beans remain consistent, with warm temperatures and the right amount in every scoop, you will always find me grabbing for them. 

Every lunch needs a drink attached, and with the limited selection in the cafeteria, it can be hard to leave your comfort zone and try a new flavor. But I urge you to take a sip of the strawberry milk next time you cumulate a lunch according to the favorites above as it will bring freshness but also the milkiness without the heavy feeling of dairy weighing down after your hearty meal. Trust me, you will never go back to chocolate or vanilla again. But a classic staple in a Chamblee lunch – the tried and true by many B&G staff – the Coke Zero Cherry flavor will reign till the end of time as the vending machines lay in perfect proximity to grab one before heading down, or even washing your meal down with one on the way up. An added bonus, the vending machines are frequently stocked with seasonal flavors. Such as the Rosalía Move Coke and the Halloween mystery flavored Fanta. 

As a senior whose clock is ticking for enjoying these school lunches, I hope incoming classes will find the simple joy of cafeteria food and the consistency in which it is served, claiming my favorite combinations as their own. But still encouraging for new favorites to emerge, and of course, praying to Michelle Obama for the revival of the Asian chicken bites. 

PS: Thank you to all the lunch staff that make lunches possible three times a day, seven days a week! From the extra cookies added to my plate and admiration of students’ baby pictures from the un-updated system, lunch could not be the same without them.