Stressed About Finals? Here’s Five Tips For Fixing That

Walking dogs in the North Carolina mountains. Photo by Fred Avett

With finals week looming over the Chamblee High population, stress is becoming an unavoidable aspect of everyone’s life, and as someone who’s been stressed since fourth grade, I’ve got plenty of experience dealing with stress, which has led me to five techniques that never fail to get my mind off of whatever I’m dealing with.  

1. Doodling

I am absolutely not an artist by any means, but this is still a great way for me to decompress and attempt to express myself artistically. One of my favorite ways to destress by means of doodling is to create my own sort of coloring page. First, I draw a bunch of random shapes around the whole page, and then I add patterns inside of the shapes. After that, I grab my coloring utensils and begin filling in the shapes, their patterns, and the negative space left on the page. A lot of the shapes end up looking like cells, which I think is super cool! For me, this activity completely takes me out of the chaotic present and transports me to a world that is completely my own, and by the time I’m done with the page I’m calm enough to take on whatever is stressing me out. Plus, I have an awesome piece of art that I can be proud of, even if it looks like crap.

2. Going for a walk

This might be the most common recommendation for anyone who needs to decrease their stress levels, and that’s because it really works! I love to take one or both of my dogs with me when I go on walks; this makes it more rewarding for me because I know how much they love going on walks, and seeing them wag their tails and happily sniff telephone poles brings me joy like no other. Another way I like to make my walks more special is to bring along my headphones and listen to music that reminds me of the happier days of my childhood, including songs like “Oh Yoko” by John Lennon, “The Best Day” by Taylor Swift, and “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen. 

3. Tidying my room

Most people would probably consider cleaning their room a chore, and even a source of stress. However, tidying my room is one of the most effective and rewarding ways I like to destress. A lot of my stress stems from situations completely out of my control, and decluttering my room gives me a sense of control over my environment, which benefits me in the moment and afterwards. When my room is neat and organized, it’s much more enjoyable to be in, and I find it easier to get things done because I’m not distracted by the mess surrounding me. Furthermore, having a physical representation of my efforts gives me a sense of accomplishment, and I often tend to feel generally happier afterwards.

4. Making Pinterest boards

Curating Pinterest boards serves as a cathartic and calming outlet for me amidst day-to-day stress. Assembling digital mood boards has become a sort of mindfulness practice for me, redirecting my focus from stressors to inspiring, beautiful imagery. Scrolling through my Pinterest feed is a visually and intellectually stimulating activity that never fails to inspire me in some way, shape, or form- whether I’m planning out my dream life or my next outfit. 

5. Screaming in my car

Yes, I’m serious. Studies have shown that letting out a nice guttural scream gives you a dopamine hit and releases some endorphins, creating a similar chemical reaction to the one you get after exercising, minus the sweat and stink. Screaming in my car is one of the easiest and quickest ways for me to release pent-up stress, and I highly recommend it to anyone with a car and a semi secluded (or not- who even cares?) place to let your rage out.