It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

My Favorite Ways to Celebrate the Holidays
The author at the Christkindl market in downtown Buckhead. Photo by Rosa McWaters

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: the holiday season. Celebrated by many, loved by all. Especially me. There is something about seeing lights go up as you explore the city, the cold temperatures welcoming snow, sharing warm drinks around a fire, bundling up in many layers just to step outside, and most of all, the joy of being surrounded by family and friends no matter what holiday you celebrate. 

My family has many traditions as we welcome the winter months. Some are holiday-oriented as we prepare for Christmas, but others are simply for fun with which only the cold season can bring inflated joy. From ice skating to festive baking, here are my favorite traditions to step into holiday cheer

Ice skating 

I’m sure everyone loves ice skating. I know I do. There is no better way to start winter than ice skating with friends and family. While I enjoy ice skating year-round, there is nothing like skating outdoors surrounded by festive decorations. Ice skating can bring people together during the crisp months of winter. There is something magical about the experience, whether you are an experienced skater or someone genuinely struggling to find your balance. As the Christmas lights illuminate the area, a simple activity becomes a cherished memory.

Cristkindlmarkt (traditional Austrian/German Christmas markets)

Last year, my love for Christmas markets was ignited during my trip to Austria. My family and I visited many traditional German Christmas markets. I was instantly spellbound by the colorful lights, extravagant decorations, delicious snacks, and adorable trinkets that make the perfect holiday gifts. As I was scrolling through social media this year, I saw an ad for a Christkindl market in downtown Buckhead, so of course, I had to go. 

Over fall break, I went with my mom and one of my close friends, and although it wasn’t all that I had hoped for, it was still an enjoyable experience, and the entry was free. We had delicious hot chocolate and got to look through many of the booths. However, I would recommend any day other than Saturday if you are planning to visit because there was an overwhelming amount of people packed into what little space the event had. Regardless, I recommend it to those searching for a simple and affordable activity this year.

Baking

Baking is another tradition that simply makes the season complete. What would the holiday be without sweet treats to enjoy by the fire or with some hot cocoa? Whether it is simple sugar cookies or intricate gingerbread houses, my kitchen is transformed into a mess of red, white, and green with the smell of freshly baked cookies in the air. 

Before Christmas, I take the time to decorate a gingerbread house, as has been my tradition for almost my entire life. I tend to take my decorating to the next level, as I spend too long on it, proving my perfectionism to be more prevalent than I thought. When it comes to baking, I hate nothing more than the tedious task of decorating. Nonetheless, something about gingerbread houses puts me in the mood to be more tedious than necessary. 

Gingerbread houses or not, I am always in the mood to bake sweet treats. Whether I plan on keeping my baked goods to myself or plan to share with others, my affinity for baking will always be present during this time of year.

Christmas trees

Every year, picking out the perfect tree for our house is one of my top holiday priorities. My mom sometimes gets frustrated with how much I micromanage every detail about our tree, and I can’t blame her. Like gingerbread decorating, I almost take it too seriously. Since I was little, decorating and picking out a tree has been special to me, and I have enjoyed carrying out that tradition ever since I can remember. Decorating a tree is special to me because it allows time with my mom and me to work together, no matter how bossy I can be at times. It is meaningful to share these moments and have something beautiful to look at. When I was little, decorating the tree was special because that was where the gifts were put under, but it truly meant more than that. 

Christmas movie marathons

What better way to celebrate Christmas than to watch the best movies based around the holiday? I have many movie traditions for this season, but I will spare you a long list and share the nearest and dearest to my heart. 

Every year since I can remember, my mom and I have watched Elf twice during the holiday season. We watch it once while we decorate the tree and another time on Christmas Eve. Because of my history with the movie, I could argue that it has to be the best Christmas movie of all time, but I will spare you that argument, too. 

Another tradition that I share is with my grandmother. Typically, I visit her before Christmas to celebrate the holiday with her since she lives far away. When I make this trip, we make it our mission to watch as many Hallmark Christmas movies as possible in one night, even though they are all practically the same. 

While many of these traditions may seem unnecessary, they have been significant in my life. I highly suggest you try some of these for yourself if you tend to celebrate Christmas as loudly as I do. There are numerous other Christmas traditions that I indulge in every year, and some may not even be considered traditions, but these are the dearest to my heart. So, as the holiday season approaches, no matter what holiday you celebrate, I hope this gets you in the mood to welcome festivity with open arms.