My Love Letter To Hot Chocolate 

A nostalgic taste like no other. Photo by Addison Lyons

As the weather cools and the days get darker, I often scout for a warm beverage that is not too sugary but delivers a sensational and glorious feeling that soothes the body and soul. On countless occasions, I find myself standing in lines at chain coffee shops and fast food restaurants such as Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks, attempting to get a deserving and exquisite drink. I have tried all the cold brews, lattes, cappuccinos, frappuccinos, etc. Although they may be good, they don’t quite satisfy my need for a warm and nostalgic beverage. Every time, I find myself returning to the one beverage that carried me through my childhood and now, my teenage years, the drink I can never refuse: hot chocolate. 

I recall when I first took a magnificent sip of hot chocolate. I was eight years old in Pennsylvania, and my relatives and I were out touring the town but had to take a pit stop at a Dunkin Donuts. My aunt had gotten a hot chocolate, so I decided to try it. When I did, I was flabbergasted and awestruck at how exemplary that drink was. Subsequently, I started my hot chocolate drinking profession. Soon my dad started bringing home the joyous godsend of Dunkin Donuts every Sunday. My orders would consist of chocolate-frosted donuts and hot chocolates. It was heaven in a hand-basket.  Something about the beverage stood out: I couldn’t satiate this wanted delight with a coffee or water; hot chocolates seemed to hit the mark and bring me the satisfaction I desired. I found that no matter what drink I got at these coffee shops, a hot chocolate would always be lingering in the back of my mind, especially during the fall and winter months. The fall brings a plethora of distinct and various drinks and beverages that people can experiment with. However, through all that fascination, I always resort to classic hot chocolate. 

With the kind deliveries from my dad, I quickly attained the knowledgeable experience of being able to tell when I got an excellent hot chocolate and what truly defined the delectable beverage. Testing hot chocolates from Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Seattle Best, Caribou Coffee, and McDonald’s, I obtained the authority to judge what a genuinely delicious hot chocolate is supposed to be, and often that delicious hot chocolate would be the Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate. Sadly, my dad and I no longer go to the Dunkin right up our street because we are too busy. I no longer get to indulge in hot chocolate as often, but if there is ever a chance, I always try my best to get it. 

Additionally, there are so many great things about this beverage. You can make it at home! I have tried countless times to make these fancy lattes you see in coffee shops and online. But I never make it taste good. However, I can always whip up an exquisite hot chocolate. Whether Swiss Miss, Good & Gather or Ghirardelli, the most engaging and efficient thing about making hot chocolates is that you can make it anywhere with minimal ingredients. Another perk to this marvelous drink is that you can make it with whatever your heart desires. You can add many distinct ingredients if you are adventurous and spontaneous and want to garnish your drink. Marshmallows are my favorite, but many add sprinkles, whipped cream, peppermint, cinnamon, and much more. Hot chocolate allows you to have a fun adventure with your taste buds and personal preferences while enabling you to enjoy a drink without too many extra additives if preferred. I love it most when I wake up, especially during the fall and winter breaks from school; I can make myself a nice cup of hot chocolate and ease into the day. The availability of the drink is something I could never take for granted. 

Lately, I have been pondering why I love hot chocolates so much. What is the true appeal? Hot chocolates attract a nostalgic and warm feeling for me—a feeling of childhood, solace, and security. The first sensational sips bring me back to my youth, a feeling I desperately desire and miss. Yes, I am only sixteen; however, I miss the innocence and purity of childhood, which I no longer have. I reminisce about the days when my dad would bring home those donuts and hot chocolates. A part of me has to settle in the grief that follows from breaking away from routines and traditions. These hot chocolates always bring me back to such a nostalgic feeling. It may sound silly- a drink having so much meaning – but I think there is more depth to our food and drink preferences than we realize. I hope to love this beverage forever; with how tasty it is and the deeper feelings that follow, I don’t see the end to the fascination in sight.