Why I Can’t Stop Scrolling

Photo by Nadia Norman

Have you ever found yourself stuck in a never ending TikTok scroll? Trust me you’re not alone. This happens to me probably every day. TikTok has this scary way of keeping us hooked and it’s nearly impossible to stop and put my phone down. It’s so addictive and hard to resist the urge to ultimately stop scrolling. I think I might have an addiction.

TikTok’s algorithm is like a mastermind. It’s constantly analyzing what we like and serving up the content that they know we like right on a platter. As we watch, like, and comment on videos it learns from this, by gathering this information it creates the infamous “For You” page. This personalized feed keeps delivering content that it knows aligns with your interest, making it hard to resist scrolling since you know you’re always going to like the next videos coming up. I finish watching one video, and boom, another one pops up, and before I know it, hours have flown by. I get caught up in a never-ending loop of videos that are tailored specifically to my interests and I lose track of time. 

I often find myself saying “Just one more video,” only to find myself still scrolling an hour later. I feel like the secret to TikTok’s success in keeping its viewers entertained definitely lies in its speedy-quick content. With the videos limited to just a few seconds or minutes, consuming a large amount of content in just a short period is very easy. With the quick pace and variety of content, it’s hard to get bored. It’s like bite-sized entertainment that’s so easily and quickly consumed so it’s very easy to watch multiple videos. Whether it’s funny skits, dance routines, educational videos, get ready with me (GRWM), there’s always something new and exciting to watch. Plus, since the videos are short, you can quickly move on to the next one, which keeps the entertainment going and I’m always wanting more.

The community aspect of TikTok promotes connection! This allows users to connect and express themselves through video content. By following your favorite creators’ users having the ability to engage with others’ content through likes, comments, and duets, creates a sense of interaction which I love. I especially enjoy tagging my friends in the comments of funny videos I see and it allows us to connect over something that we both enjoy and it’s always great seeing their reactions. 

In a world that often can feel overwhelming, TikTok offers an escape. It’s a place where we can watch and create content and immerse ourselves in endless entertainment. The endless scroll becomes a form of relaxation and enjoyment for me. While it’s just a temporary break from the stresses in my everyday life, I still enjoy the endless entertainment!