Ingredient Snacks: What To Eat When You Have Nothing To Eat

Two-ingredient snack idea. Photo courtesy of the author

The term “ingredient household,” used to describe homes that generally stock ingredients to make foods/meals rather than prepared foods/snacks, recently arose through social media. My home isn’t an ingredient household, but since fifth grade, I’ve been perfecting the art of “ingredient household snacks”—or, in my case, “ingredient snacks.” Sometimes, your sibling might’ve just eaten the last bag of chips, or you might not be in the mood for any of the snacks in your pantry, or you did just have some of the snacks in your pantry and are in the mood for something different. Or you do, in fact, live in an ingredient household. In any of those cases, feel free to refer back to this article for snacking ideas; these are my favorite tried-and-true ingredient snacks.

1. Shredded cheese and pepperoni

I love a tortilla pizza or quesadilla as much as anyone, but you don’t always have tortillas at home. Or you might just be really hungry and not in the mood to wait for a mini pizza to cook before you can start eating. I like to take out my bags of shredded cheese and pepperoni and alternate between them, having a bite of shredded cheese and then a slice of pepperoni, so that I can enjoy the different flavors and textures together.

2. Peanut butter

Peanut butter is not only delicious but also very filling. Although I don’t have this snack much anymore since my family doesn’t really buy peanut butter anymore, in fifth grade, I loved to scoop peanut butter straight out of the jar and eat it right off the spoon. I do not recommend doing this if you have a peanut allergy.

3. Chocolate chips

Chocolate chips are a great addition to cookies and also great on their own. You can also melt a bowl of chocolate chips in the microwave and dip fruit, like strawberries, in it.

4. Microwave s’mores

Speaking of microwaving, microwave s’mores are the perfect quick snack to satisfy your sweet tooth without having to spend too long or make a mess. Stack your graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallow(s) on a plate and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds, and you have a wonderful snack. Or you could roast your marshmallow(s) on the stove, but that’s slightly more time-consuming and potentially messier.

5. Avocado toast

A classic for good reason. When I know I have perfectly ripe avocados waiting for me in my kitchen, I spend a decent part of my school day thinking about the avocado toast I’m going to make once I get home. Whether you add an egg or not, this snack will make your day. I recommend topping your avocado toast with everything bagel seasoning.

As someone who considers snacking after getting home from school one of her favorite parts of the day, I hope this article helped you out. Please try the shredded cheese and pepperoni combo—you won’t regret it.