Breaking News

Cox Honors Students and Staff

Two students, one teacher, and one staff member will attend a March 14 luncheon and receive $100 each from Cox Enterprises.

Phillip Marks, Leslie Espy, Patricia Glomb, and Dorothy Boroughs won Cox’s “Extra Effort” awards for the “time they put in for Chamblee High School and the community,” according to Principal Cheryl Finke.

Chamblee has given similar awards in the past but started from the practice recently.

“Cox decided we need to honor some people,” FInke said.

The staff voted on the winners at an early February faculty meeting.

Teachers nominated students they felt were deserving of the award.

“It’s a great honor to have won this award because there was just one female [student] winner and one male [student] winner,” said student Leslie Espy, who is involved with student government at the school and county levels. “This school is so competitive,” she added. “I was shocked.”

“I’m very surprised I got this award,” said senior Phillip Marks, who balances academics and extracurricular activities such as swimming. “I’m a slacker,” said Marks, “but sometimes I’m a little fanatical.” He added, “I feel compelled to not catch senioritis.”

Cox and Chamblee are “Partners in Education.” Cox gives between $22,000 and $28,000 to CCHS each year. 

The greenhouse in the junior courtyard, the banners in the gym, and much of the school’s office furniture come from Cox funds.

Cox is also responsible for the daily shipment of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, much of the equipment in the broadcasting department, the machines in the weight room, and funding for academic teams and staff development.