Chamblee Crowns 2021 Homecoming King and Queen

Photo courtesy of Joanna Louis-Ugbo

Chamblee’s 2021 Homecoming King and Queen

Mallory Reid, Reporter

Although Chamblee did not host a homecoming dance this year, the tradition of the senior homecoming court lives on. Leading up to the homecoming football game, Chamblee’s Student Government Association [SGA] hosted a spirit week for students to participate in. The creative dress-up day themes included: Pajama Day, Twin Day, Costume Day, Dress Like a Parent Day, and Color War. Festivities concluded at the end of the week with the crowning of Chamblee’s 2021 Homecoming King and Queen.

The following is a Q&A between The Blue & Gold and this year’s Homecoming Royalty:

2021 Homecoming Queen: Joanna Louis-Ugbo

How did you feel when you were announced as Homecoming Queen?

I did not think I was gonna win because I saw a lot of advertisements for two specific people. So I was kind of not expecting to win at all. And I was preoccupied with planning the SGA homecoming events, so I didn’t even have time to think about the possibility of winning homecoming royalty. There’s like a picture of me with my mouth wide open [when I was announced Homecoming Queen] because I was extremely shocked.

What will you miss most about Chamblee?

I think I’ll miss not having a lot of responsibilities. I feel like in college, everything that you do is aimed towards your job. And I feel like in high school, you have no real responsibilities. I mean, as long as you do your work, you’re just cruising by. In college, you have to worry about the future and careers, but it’s just a lot easier and it’s easier to see friends and hang out with them because you seen them every single day.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in at Chamblee?

I am in SGA, Beta Club, NHS [National Honor Society], and Informal Debate Club. I’m also the Student Body President.

Joanna Louis-Ugbo is crowned Homecoming Queen by Principal Gail Barnes (Photo courtesy of Joanna Louis-Ugbo)
What was it like returning to in-person school after attending virtual school last year?

Unfortunately, my junior year was kind of rough because of COVID, so this year, I’m just trying to live it to the fullest. It has been really stressful so I haven’t had a lot of time to like do all the things that I want to do. I’m just focusing on getting new hobbies like I go to the library once a week, [and] now I garden and cook a lot. So I’ve just been doing a lot of hobbies to make up for all of last year, and just having fun.

What is your favorite Chamblee memory?

[Winning homecoming] royalty, that was probably my favorite memory because that week was extremely stressful. Not only because of planning homecoming stuff, but also just like college-wise and having to submit things for the November 1st deadline. And so winning [Homecoming Queen] was just like a weight lifted off my shoulders. It made me like really proud to, you know, go to Chamblee, especially since [our game was] against Lakeside, and Lakeside would have been my home school. So it was kind of fun even though I wasn’t at their school to celebrate with them.

2021 Homecoming King: Victor Walls

How did you feel when you were announced as Homecoming King? 

I got nominated by my club, BeU [Black Excellence Understood], so I expected it. I guess the whole process was just kind of fun. I just want to tell everybody thank you for voting for me, and thank you for the experience because, you know, it was fun.

What will you miss most about Chamblee?

Probably football, of course. But also like the relationships I’ve built here. You know, school always wasn’t the best, but [I’ll] definitely [miss] the people I’ve met here and like the bonds I made.

I’m the president of Black Excellence Understood. I’m also trying to get involved in SGA, and I do FCA [Fellowship of Christian Athletes].

Homecoming King Victor Walls post-game (Photo courtesy of Ashika Srivastava)

So I’m one of the captains of the football team. This year, we went nine and one, which is our best record [since we] basically missed out on half a season last year. And last year, we weren’t as good as we were this year. So, I mean, I missed like five games and now I can’t like you know, play football anymore. [Also,] I didn’t go [to homecoming] in ninth and tenth grade, so I never got to go to homecoming.

What is your favorite Chamblee memory?

Definitely beating Dunwoody for the first time two years ago, I think. That was crazy.