Breaking News
  • May 1BLUE & GOLD SPIRIT NIGHT AT PANERA BREAD ON NORTH DRUID HILLS ROAD 4-8 PM TODAY!

Surfing Bulldogs: Chamblee High Gets a Website

Chamblee finally has a homepage on the internet. Ready to ride the waves? The address is http://168.29.6.3/~chamblee or http://rehoboth.co.dekalb.k12.ga.us:80/~chamblee/. Either one works, the one that Mr. Smiley gave out was the first one of the two. Some of the site is still under construction, but it still looks pretty cool so far. There are 9 places that will eventually be available: Bell Schedule, Media Center, PTA, Teacher Resources, Glossy Booklet, Art Gallery, Alumni, Trips, and Cox Enterprises. The Bell Schedule, Alumni, and Trips section are up and running but are still being updated. The rest of the sites are “still building,” complete with a caricature of Mr. Smiley holding a computer, blueprints, and a keyboard hanging off his mustache. The Bell Schedule gives you regular, pep rallies, homeroom, and exam schedules for regular and magnet students. The Alumni page gives you the email addresses of students who used to attend Chamblee. So far there are three people: Chris Salthouse, Class of ‘96; Michael Gluck, Class of ‘78; and Mike Bernstein, Class of 62’. The Trips page talks about the upcoming trip along the Mediterranean in ‘97 and the GTP Russian Exchange Program. The Art Gallery will show off the works of students. For more information on these pages, you will have to surf the net yourself. 

The objectives of Mr. Smiley for this homepage are 1. For it to be up and running by next year; 2. Communications between high schools and communication with Chamblee and its Alumni; 3. for every alumni to have an e-mail address and to stay in contact with Chamblee. This project was Mr.Smiley’s brainchild, although he does not want to take full credit. His goal would have been a lot harder to reach without the enthusiastic help of Chris Salthouse, Zach Smith, and Chris Hutman. Another goal of Mr. Smiley is to have school forms printed from his computer. This will save time and money. It saves time by not having to hand things out in class and money because the school will not have to print the forms out on paper to everyone, only to those who lack access to the net. Parents will be able to see upcoming events. (This could put the Paw Print out of business!) The athletes will be able to get their forms even if they forget to ask their coach during the day. The way Mr. Smiley and others see it, in 10 years we will all look back and wonder how we ever got anywhere without the net.