Students Over the Moon About Homecoming!

Photo courtesy of Chamblee SGA

With homecoming less than a month away, Chamblee High’s Student Government Association (SGA) is deep in preparation for the event. They recently announced the theme for the dance, “out of this world”, getting many students excited for the occasion. SGA sponsor, Mallory Clark shared that she is happy with the theme that the students agreed upon.

“I think it will be a good theme. There’s a lot to do with it, so I think decorations will be a lot of fun this year. We haven’t really done a theme like this before, which is refreshing,” said Clark.

Though many like the theme for the dance, some feel that it was more commonly done than the other themes considered.

“I think it is a more generic one than some of the other ideas [that we discussed], but I still like it because I think [the decorations] would be really pretty,” said SGA member Gia Choy (‘26).

In preparation for the dance, many students have realized that finding an outfit will be both fun and challenging. Allie Knudsen (‘25) is excited about the theme because of the ways that she could incorporate it into her final homecoming look.

“You could get cute dresses out of [the theme] by wearing a dark blue color. I think just dressing up [for the dance] is my favorite part of homecoming,” said Knudsen.

Not only does the homecoming dance give students the opportunity to dress up, it also provides many students with the opportunity to have fun with their peers outside of the classroom. Alex Lin (‘24) explains that his favorite aspect of last year’s dance was the energy of the attendees.

“Everyone was very excited and willing to dance. The music and the theme were great. Plus, everyone looked nice. It was just a good time,” said Lin.

There is so much to look forward to for the week of homecoming in addition to the dance. Chamblee’s Student Government Association is in the process of brainstorming the dress-up days for the week, as well as the homecoming pep rally. Clark describes these dress-up days as her favorite aspect of homecoming last year, and she hopes to continue choosing creative themes.

“I think the dress up days last year were a little more outside the box and really fun, like ‘barbecue moms or dads’ versus ‘soccer moms’. And the theme of people dressing as their parents was hilarious. We’re trying to bring some of that back, where the themes aren’t just ‘decades day’ or ‘jersey day’ or whatever, and try to have some fun with it,” said Clark.

To optimize your homecoming fun, it is important to participate in the events and be open to going all out.

“I just hope kids participate. It’s only as fun as we make it,” said Clark, “I [hope] that everyone [will take] part in the experience and remember it, because [homecoming] is supposed to be really fun.”