Breaking News

Hundreds of Students Protest War

Approximately 150 CCHS students staged a walkout on March 5 in protest against a war in Iraq. They left the building for about 20 minutes during READS, a regularly scheduled independent reading time at the end of the third period. 

Protesters held up signs and chanted anti-war slogans on the sidewalk of Chamblee-Dunwoody Road. Participants cheered when cars honked in support. Junior David Ferris organized the exit as part of the National Moratorium to top the war on Iraq. 

“I saw the March 5 moratorium as a great opportunity for students across the country to collectively and strongly voice their opposition and strongly voice their opposition to this completely senseless war,” said Ferris.

Students protest the war as used in the 2003 issue.

Protests were also held at Decatur High School, Agnes Scott College, and Emory, as well as at many high schools and colleges around the country. 

Principal Cheryl Finke gave no approval for the event. After she got wind of the protest, she notified the school district and the Chamblee police. DeKalb County Schools’ Area director Bob Moseley reported to Chamblee to assist with the situation. In addition to Moseley and Finke, other school administrators and campus security were on hand. 

No problems were reported and students returned to the building to complete the school say. 

News crews from Fox 5 and CBS News interviewed several students concerning their opinions of the war. Jimmy Yeh and Donald Acker were filmed debating their opposing viewpoints. The cameras also focused on JROTC students in attendance. 

Junior Jonathan Rouse said, “…all we do is try to impose political ideology on another country, and that’s just hypocritical.”

“War should be a last resort and not a solution,” said Junior Kim Filipek. 

Junior Andra Khan also echoed this sentiment, “War has never solved anything before.”

(Staff JC Boyle and adviser Diane Shearer contributed to this article.)