New Teacher Elizabeth Heys is Ready to Begin!

Heys enjoying her first couple of weeks at school. Photo courtesy of The Blue & Gold

In the past, face masks were seen covering the faces of everyone at school. This year, though, things are different, as most of the students and teachers don’t wear them anymore. As things are mostly back to “normal”, many new staff members have joined the Chamblee faculty, including social studies teacher Elizabeth Heys. Heys teaches AP Human Geography and U.S. History. Although she may be new to Chamblee, this year will be her 13th year teaching in total. 

“I taught at Tucker High School for one year, and the other years were all at Arabia Mountain,” said Heys. 

Although Heys taught for a long time at Arabia Mountain High School, she was inclined to move to Chamblee due to proximity.

“I moved to Tucker last school year and had a baby in March, so I was looking to be closer to home [since it will be] easier for my family that way,” said Heys.

As much as she loves teaching, Heys also has had many other passions in the past.

“Since having a baby, I don’t normally have time for any hobbies since I’m either working or with [my baby]. In the past, however, I used to play trivia and I [was a part of] a bocci team, but I’ve kinda stopped all those things,” said Heys. 

Prior to becoming a teacher, Heys was pursuing a career focused around nonprofits and service work.

“Before I became a teacher, I was in Americorps for two years, worked with the Children’s Literacy [Initiative] organization, and I worked for Habitat for Humanity,” said Heys. 

As Heys is getting to know the school better, she has one request that would enhance her experience in her classroom on the first floor.  

“It would be great to have windows in the classroom—I have no idea what’s going on outside,” said Heys. 

Being a new teacher in a new environment can be difficult, but Heys has a positive outlook to this school year. She is excited to see what this school has to offer, and has already been impressed thus far.