A Holiday Season Full of Festivities!

The Garden Lights, Holiday Nights exhibit at Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Courtesy of Amalee McWaters

The smell of Christmas trees is in the air, and preparations for the holidays are in full swing all around the world. This holiday season may have just started for some, but it has already blasted off for others, including many organizations around Atlanta. Many holiday events are happening around Atlanta this season and these are just a few of them!
The first of many activities happening around Atlanta this season is Light Up Brookhaven. On Wednesday, December 6, 2023, in Blackburn Park, the city of Brookhaven will light the town’s 40-foot Christmas tree and Hanukkah menorah. Alongside the lighting will be other supplemental attractions such as caroling, a petting zoo, and food trucks.
“My favorite part is getting hot chocolate and listening to the chorus singing, because I used to be in the chorus and it’s very nostalgic for me,” said Stella Barton (‘26).
For those looking to stay closer to home, Chamblee High School itself is hosting several holiday events, including the Winter Holiday orchestra, chorus, and band concert.
The Band, Orchestra, and Chorus will play a variety of pieces from classic holiday compositions ranging from “The Nutcracker” to “A Holiday Singalong”. The concert is happening on Thursday, December 7, 2023, in the Chamblee Auditorium. The concert is free to all who want to go and see the talent of Chamblee High School’s music department.
“We highly encourage that people go see all the hard work that our music department has been practicing and preparing for,” said Gia Choy (‘26), a member of the orchestra. “It’s very much in the holiday spirit because all of our music is on theme for the holidays and it’s just a good event to go to right before the holidays.”
If you are in the mood for even more music, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra is holding their annual Christmas with the ASO concerts on December 9-10, 2023. Ticket prices range from $45.00- $103.00.
But if your holiday season is already packed, don’t fear—many local events have multiple showings all throughout the holiday season, including the Alliance Theater’s “A Christmas Carol”, the annual play hosted by Alliance Theater about Ebenezer Scrooge.
The show runs at Alliance Theater from November 3-December 24, 2023, with ticket prices from $17.00- $19.00.
For those looking for a more self-guided experience, the Atlanta Botanical Gardens hosts their Garden Lights, Holiday Nights exhibition all the way through January. The Botanical Gardens lights up their plants and creates extravagant displays of lights that bring the holiday spirit to the beloved Atlanta institution.
“They just set up lots of pretty lights around the area,” said Sami Yarbrough (‘27). “It’s one of my favorite holiday events.”
If you are looking for a place to do some shopping, you can go to the Atlanta Christkindl Market, where you can shop from over 50 independent vendors. This market is themed after towns that host annual markets in Germany during the holiday season. The market, which is already open for this holiday season, will continue through Sunday, December 24, 2023.
“They have German food and lots of little market stands,” said Eleanor Gillispi.
To cap off the holiday season and create a lasting memory of the year, families with children or dogs might opt to stop into one of Atlanta’s many malls for an opportunity to take a classic picture with Santa.
“Every Christmas I look forward to going to going out and celebrating with everyone,” said Finley Malone (‘26). “It’s my favorite part of the holiday season.”