Breaking News

Looking to Fill Your Schedule? Here’s Some Easier Classes We Recommend!

A Journalism student watching Dhar Mann during class. Photo Courtesy of Finley Malone

It is Chamblee students’ favorite time of the year once again— course advisement to determine their class schedules for next year. Many at Chamblee find that it is difficult to keep their schedules balanced with both challenging Advanced Placement courses and stress-free classes.

“It’s stressful coming up with a new schedule every year. Everything just seems so final because you can’t change your schedule after a certain date,” said Sloane Drummond (‘26).

Some students recommend that students take AP United States Government and Politics if they have extra space to fill in their schedule because of the AP course’s appeal on college applications, as well as its relatively easy coursework.

“AP Gov. is one of the easier classes that I’ve taken. The content goes slow and there is nothing too hard that you have to learn. Plus, both teachers are pretty good and not too stressful to deal with. I would definitely recommend that someone take this class if they have an extra space to fill,” said Drummond.

Others claim that AP Human Geography is the easiest Advanced Placement course due to the teachers’ methods of relaying the information.

“The material is pretty easy to understand and mostly focuses on vocabulary. The bulk of the class is just taking notes,” said Avni Chawla (‘27).

Some students believe that AP Environmental Science is a fairly easy Advanced Placement course that involves exciting experiments and activities. 

“In AP Environmental Science, you do a lot of fun labs. I think the workload is pretty light and the teachers explain the information really well,” said Amelia Smith (‘24).

In addition to recommending that students take easier AP classes, some students suggest taking elective classes to balance their schedules.

“I think that students should take electives to lighten the load of [difficult classes],” said Chawla.

Students such as Zoe McNeil (‘26) encourage taking art at Chamblee if students are particularly creative and enjoy artistic projects.

“If you’re a very creative person, you’ll do well in that class. You just have to put in some effort and submit your work on time. I think that this class is a pretty chill class to take to fill your schedule,” said McNeil.

Students can also join Chamblee’s music program. Certain classes, such as chorus, are not too rigorous or stressful for students.

“Chorus is pretty easy as long as you enjoy singing. We do a lot more singing than assignments and Ms. Lirette, [the director of the chorus program at Chamblee], is amazing at teaching us. Chorus is a good filler class because it’s not a lot of difficult work,” said Rosalyn Self (‘27).

Others suggest weight training as an easy elective that can sometimes function as a study hall. Student Julie Wang (‘25) spoke about how envious she is of students in weight training.

“I would recommend taking weight training to fill your schedule. The class consists of going to the weight room and lifting weights. Plus, Coach Jackson is very chill and not a harsh grader,” said Wong.

Overall, Chamblee’s variety of classes and difficult APs can overwhelm any student. It is important for students to keep their daily schedule balanced and minimize stress when possible, which can be achieved by including these classes in your schedule.