Long-Term Subs, Long-Term Impact

Long-term substitute Kapri Washington.

The faculty of any school is perhaps the most important aspect in its success–but sometimes, some of the most important faculties, teachers, are missing from the school environment. When teachers have schedule conflicts, illness, or otherwise cannot make it to school, substitute teachers are called in to fill in their spots. However, when the cause of the teacher’s absence is more ongoing, such as a maternity leave, a long-term substitute takes over, a role which frequently involves a higher amount of involvement in lesson plans and student management.
“[I have subbed] since the beginning of spring semester and I will continue into February and March, whenever Ms. Gilliam returns,” said current substitute teacher for Ms. Gilliam’s US History and AP US History classes, James Holmes.
Although students often believe substitution to be more relaxed than the role of normal teachers, some substitute teachers are put in situations where they have to quickly familiarize themselves with new and different aspects of teaching.
“[Being a substitute teacher] was outside my league. I’m a science-certified person and being in an ELA class was a little outside my league. But it was fun when I got to know students and we are in this field because we are passionate about helping students,” said Chamblee’s gifted liaison, Shaheen Begum.
Like Ms. Begum, substitute teachers often find themselves in classes that they may not have the traditional qualifications to teach, even on long-term assignments.
“The first class I covered this school year for 10 weeks was an English class and it was in line with my passions and the students were gifted… I found that the combination of having passionate students and covering an English class was something that I really enjoyed. The other subjects that I have done have been a bit more challenging because my degree is in English. When I had to cover a geometry class it took a lot more relearning for me to do in order to teach them correctly, but thankfully I had guidance from other teachers,” said substitute teacher Kapri Washington.
Prolonged substitute teachers not only have to deal with potential unfamiliar subject matter but the challenges of understanding and teaching another teacher’s lesson plan.
“If there is not enough work or if we run out of things to do, I will always try to give them more things to do to help them learn the subject or we will discuss life issues or things like that,” said substitute teacher, Mr. Stephens.
As seen, some are certified to teach certain areas of learning, like ELA or Science, but others are doing their job to the book.
“ I am very clear with [the students] about what my role is. I am not trying to be a substitute educator with educator degrees. I am just trying to help them from point A to point B, to get them to the point where when the teacher comes back, they still feel like they understand the subject that they’re in.”
Along with foreign lesson plans, long-term substitutes have to get used to the school’s online learning tools, such as Canvas and Clever, that they may be unfamiliar with.
“Getting used to the different programs such as Canvas is new to me. I am having trouble negotiating and trying to figure out how to put in assignments. I think I have gotten around to doing it fairly well, but it’s been a challenge, a learning curve, and AP Central was another one. I had not worked with AP Central in about six years and since then it’s been updated, so I am getting used to that,” said Holmes.
As these teachers grow accustomed to their new environment, they not only try to make it better for themselves but for the students as well.
“I feel like I have a very welcoming, open personality. I use kindness to get to know my students. It takes time, it’s not anything that is easy from the jump, it just takes time to get to know them,” said Washington.
Being collaborative with other teachers is very helpful when long-term substitute teachers don’t have an idea how to manage certain issues.
“Building a routine is very helpful and also getting to know some of the teachers. If I’m in a long-term position, I’m on the same floor and same hall with the same teachers everyday and getting to know them helps them to support me as a sub,” said Washington.
The help substitutes receive from other teachers, particularly department chairs, can be crucial in their success in managing a class while keeping students on track.
“The department chairs were very patient and the American Literature group that I worked with was very understanding and helpful,” said Begum.
Substitute teaching, long or short-term, is challenging: the role might seem diminutive and getting into a routine with teachers and students who are completely new to the substitute can be challenging, but if the school community supports their new teachers, everything can and will work out.
“I really enjoy [being a substitute teacher] because I enjoy being around students and I enjoy trying to help them learn and understand subjects,” said Stephens. “Plus, I think it’s a good place to be near the end of my career.”