Student Musicians Forced to Wait Until Eight

Much to many students’ dismay, Chamblee’s Fine Arts Building is not unlocked until 8 a.m.

Administration keeps the doors shut in the early morning hours because of the lack of supervision inside the building, but many students’ only concern is having to carry their instruments around with them.

“I really hate that rule, because I need to get in here in the morning and put my flute in the locker, especially on marching band days,” said sophomore Hailey Maxwell. “I have clothes, I have a water bottle, I have at least one instrument, and I need to put them in my [band] locker.”

Students’ options are limited when they arrive before the doors open. Some opt to go to their lockers in the main building and then return to the Fine Arts building later, but they are less than pleased with this solution.

“I lug a lot of things, I lug my violin, and that’s a lot of things to carry, so it’s best if the door is open, so I can drop off my stuff so I don’t have to trip up the stairs,” said sophomore Joyce Yun.

Others choose to simply wait it out.

“Last year, I brought my contrabassoon to school too, and that is about twice as big and three times as heavy as my regular bassoon, and that was something I physically could not take up three flights of stairs,” said senior Catherine Willingham. “I would have to wait in the lobby until someone came to open up the music building.”

Band Director Colleen Fleming is sympathetic towards students.

“I know a lot of club meetings happen and the kids with the bigger instruments need to be able to drop them off, rather than lugging them around the school for 45 minutes,” said Fleming. “They risk being late to their first period because of their instrument.”

However, she also sees the other side of the situation.

“I do understand their rule,” she said. “I know that the gym is hard to patrol.”

Orchestra director Earl Kuutti is of a similar opinion; he recognizes the security concerns, but also helps students out when he can.

“I keep an eye out. If they’re carrying an instrument, I’ll let them in,” he said. “Or even sometimes the administrators let them in if they have an instrument.”

Another problem that comes with locked doors is when students accommodate for the morning policy by leaving their instruments in the hall outside the band and orchestra rooms, which could result in vandalism or theft.

“I don’t want to start getting there everyday with a pile of instruments,” said Kuutti. “I don’t want it to be a drop off point.”

In spite of their complaints, students are also understanding of the administration’s view.

“I think for security reasons, maybe they do have to not let us in until eight,” said Maxwell, “but it’s really inconvenient for the kids that aren’t going to cause trouble.”

According to Assistant Principal Cindy Mosley, there simply is not enough staff to allow free entry into the Fine Arts building.

“If we had enough people, then it’d be a possibility,” she said.

However, it is also worth remembering that Chamblee students still have more freedom than at some other schools.

“In the morning at most schools, students are only allowed in a couple different areas, and the supervision is there,” said Mosley. “At Chamblee, we choose to let you be free in the academic building.”