New Counselor Brings a Love for Learning to CCHS

The newest counselor at Chamblee Charter High School can best be described by her colorful office. Decked out in yellow decor, inspired by her idol, Beyoncé, and proudly displaying various college banners, counselor Aleesa Reese’s office is already bringing a fresh perspective to the school. Although Reese is only assigned to students with last names Cr-Hn, she wants to encourage all students to come and talk to her if they need to.

“My hope is to meet everyone. I know I can’t meet all 1700 of you, but at least so that everyone knows who I am,” said Reese.

Although Reese is now a high school counselor, her path to deciding on this career has been a long journey. Reese grew up in southwest Atlanta and was always involved in education.

“I remember every single teacher I’ve had since kindergarten. So, that’s how big education is for me,” said Reese.

From an early age, Reese explored various careers paths, such as being an actress or architect. When she was in third grade, she became interested in teaching. Her father bought a chalkboard for her to play with, and she would use her teacher’s old textbooks to teach her “students.”

“I would set up my D.W. Arthur and all my Barbie dolls,” said Reese.

After completing high school and receiving her undergraduate degree in psychology from Tennessee State University, Reese knew she wanted to keep learning and explore all of her options. She attended graduate school at Clark Atlanta University, where she studied school counseling.

“I knew I wanted to be a counselor because I wanted the opportunity to help all the kids,” said Reese.

After graduation, she worked as an elementary school counselor and then a middle school teacher. Her goal, however, was to work with high schoolers. While searching for another job, Reese emailed Dr. Norman Sauce III, the former principal of Chamblee Charter High School four times.

“I probably heard back from Ms. Jones three weeks after my last email and I finally got the interview,”

said Reese.

Reese was ecstatic to begin her job and has been extremely impressed with the students and staff.

“The students are amazing. You all are so impressive. You’re hard-workers. It’s a really really impressive school,” said Reese.

Although the work load has been intense, Reese has enjoyed every minute of it.

“One thing I love about this job, so far, is that there’s always something for me to do. I never get bored,” said Reese.

Outside of work, Reese enjoys dancing and even hopes to open two dance studios in Atlanta, one of which she plans to open by 2019.

In the future, Reese’s dream job would be to return to her former high school, Benjamin E. Mays High School in the Alanta Public School system, and become a counselor there.

“I feel like they gave to me, so I need to go back to them,” said Reese.

She firmly believes that all students should get access to the resources they need to be successful.

“Education is something no one can take from you. No matter where you go, no matter if you get fired on the job, no one can take from you how smart you are,” said Reese.