Environmental Awareness at Chamblee Reaches a New Peak

Recently, an environmental report was released by the U.N. stating that it is probable, without implementing “unprecedented” changes, that humans will have less than 11 years to reverse the detrimental damage caused by climate change. It looks as if the global temperature could rise an average of 1.5 degrees, causing Antarctica to melt and numerous species to go extinct.

Despite this dire outlook, there are steps that individuals can take to help the environment such as minimizing waste (plastic and other avoidable trash), eating local and organic foods, and advocating for laws which provide more protection to the Earth. Luckily, some students at Chamblee Charter High School have decided to go above and beyond in helping the environment.

“I think it [how little our government is doing to help the environment] reflects America’s carelessness about the subject. A lot of European countries are taking initiative to counteract the pollution and support the environment but I don’t think America cares at all. And when not enough citizens care, the government doesn’t feel obliged to do anything,” said sophomore class president Livi Hogan.

Even if some students feel that the government is inactive, they are still trying to help the environment in any ways they can.

“I’m trying to go zero waste and recycle as much as possible. I thought it would be very hard, but most things can be recycled and reused. So I’ve just changed what I buy and how,” said Hogan. “I think doing something simple like using reusable containers for lunches can cut down on waste so much, because we all use several plastic bags everyday.”

There are many students at CCHS that are working towards minimizing waste and raising awareness for the environment. Juniors Amy Lin and Shrika Madivanan started a program called ‘Rubbish’ in which students send in pictures of trash they picked up and were awarded points so that they could receive prizes of their choice, such as sweets or buttons. By providing an incentive, students became encouraged to beautify the school.

Unfortunately, this was a short-term program that the girls were using for their science fair project, but it sparked a lot of interest and left a long-lasting imprint on those who participated.

“As we started this project, my partner Amy Lin and I noticed a lot of trash resided outside on the practice field or in the parking lot. This trash was being swept away by the wind and going God knows where. So, it was not just polluting our campus but contributing to pollution in other places as well,” said Madivanan, regarding Rubbish. “As much as people hate the school and everything, I’ve always felt that it’s a pretty beautiful place to learn in as far as a lot of schools go. Throughout high school, I noticed that we [the students] were the ones taking it for granted and making a mess of it and that was the driving force for it.”

While avoiding pollutants seems like the obvious choice, there are many types of pollution that people seem to ignore. Animal agriculture and eating meat both contribute to pollution as well. Raising cows, for example, causes injury to the ozone layer of the atmosphere due to the fact that they produce upwards of 100 kilograms of methane per year. For these reasons, many students have become vegans.

“Veganism has completely changed my life for the better. I have lost so much weight, gained so much confidence and energy along with education and awareness of my environment around me,” said Ainslie Armstrong, a junior here at Chamblee and a vegan of more than two years. “[Veganism] is the easiest way to really help the environment. With just a single lifestyle change you are helping more that you ever could doing many separate, helpful things. Its impact is bigger than anything else you could single-handedly do.”

Some students are trying to save the environment through different means.

“I don’t use straws. I recycle all the plastic that I use. I rewash my Ziploc bags. I use my Swell water bottle and non-plastic tampons! I sometimes even pull water bottles out of trash to recycle, but only when I have my hand sanitizer on me,” said junior Kirby Guerrero, an advocate for the environment.

Regardless, other students at Chamblee seem indifferent about the current environmental state and how it affects the school.

“I’m worried that the world is going to get too far beyond repair with litter. I’m worried by how many people don’t care and make fun of the people who do care,” said Guerrero.