Braaten to Transfer Before End of Semester

Alice Bai, Ethan Rotnem, and Marley Brock

At a staff meeting in the afternoon of November 28, 2018, Chamblee Charter High School principal Rebecca Braaten announced that she intends to transfer from Chamblee effective December 17, 2018. Her last day at Chamblee will be Friday, December 14. She will not be moving to become principal of another school; instead, she will continue to work for DeKalb County School District as an administrator on special assignment.

The interim principals taking her place will be Terese Allen and Robert Williams, both of whom worked as executive coaches this year to better support Braaten. The two will serve as principals until a permanent replacement is found. No timeline has been announced for the new hiring.

The move was of Braaten’s own accord, but comes after months of sustained criticism on the part of many parents and teachers.

Braaten came to Chamblee as principal at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year.

During her year and a half tenure, changes at CCHS have included a more relaxed phone and dress code policy, and the announcement of the freshman academy. Other programs included a mandatory ID lanyard policy for all students, a stricter morning check-in policy, and an emphasis on teaching objectives through the lens of “WILF” and “SWBAT.”

Braaten was highly criticized during a state of school address which took place over the summer, following the release of staff surveys that showed widespread dissatisfaction toward the school’s leadership.

Most recently, Braaten was scrutinized for a string of governing board meetings (see: here and here), at which many parents believed her to be unprepared.

This is a breaking story. It will be updated as more information becomes available. 

About the Writers
Alice Bai, Editor-in-chief

Alice Bai is a senior and editor-in-chief. In her free time, she likes to read, work on her bullet journal, and shop online for fun and funky crew socks. This is her third year on the staff.

Ethan Rotnem, Editor-in-chief

Senior Ethan Rotnem is an editor-in-chief. He enjoys walking his dog, recommending music to his friends, and looking at cities on Google Maps. This is his third year on the staff.

Marley Brock, Editor

Marley Brock is a senior editor. You can spot her wearing Disney-themed attire, screwing with the website, and reading (you guessed it) the news. This is her third year on the staff.