The Puzzling Wonders of CHS’ Puzzle Club

Ell Bowers

Calling all puzzle lovers at Chamblee High School! A hidden gem for all those who love to test themselves with complex problems and challenges happens to be Puzzle Club. Started only last year by Emilia Lowe-Pederson (‘24), Puzzle Club is one of the smaller clubs at Chamblee, but it does have a lot to offer for all of its members. 

Lowe-Pederson is a senior who has a passion for puzzles. In hopes of sharing her passion with the people of Chamblee, she started this cozy club. 

“I wanted to create the puzzle club because originally we were doing the MIT mystery hunt, which is this hunt that usually takes place in Boston. Although, because of Covid it was virtual, so we were doing that, and we had a team for it, and then I thought this could be a cool school club, we could do so much more,” said Lowe-Pederson. 

This club offers much more than just your average Jigsaw puzzle. They have all kinds of puzzles, ranging from Scavenger hunts to intricate logic puzzles. 

“I like that I get to do the puzzles by myself or with my friends or other people. It’s just doing my hobby at school,” said Lowe-Pederson. 

The members of the puzzle club are another hidden treasure. They create a pleasant environment for everyone to feel included and in a safe space, and are all part of what makes the puzzle club have a warm and welcoming atmosphere. 

“Everyone in puzzle club is very nice, and it’s very personable because everyone is so friendly and awesome,” said Andrew Cole (‘24), a member of the club. 

The club is sponsored by an English teacher, Fred Avett. While he does not directly involve himself in the activities with the members, he does make every meeting a little more interesting by getting a chuckle out of everyone. 

“I don’t really participate in the puzzles. I leave that to the puzzlers to handle the puzzle stuff. I do like to blurt out dumb answers every once in a while because at least I think it’s funny,” said Avett.

Not only does this club allow its members to take a break from the stress of daily life and spend time doing what they enjoy with their friends, but it also inspires them to make lasting bonds even outside the weekly club meeting. 

“I would like to go to a competition. Even if we don’t win, it would be nice to go out and plan a bigger event to hang out with everyone outside of school,” said Cole. 

These innovative students are even inspiring the staff at Chamblee High School to branch out and try something new. 

“My favorite part of the club is when I actually look at the puzzles and try to figure out what the students are trying to do. They also introduced me to diagonal Sudoku, which I had never heard of before,” said Avett. 

All in all, the club has much to offer for all of its puzzle loving members.

“I love every single person who comes to this club,” said Lowe-Pederson. “I love everyone who comes here because I really appreciate their support, and they are all great and awesome.”