Chamblee Students’ Opinions on Biden

Jacob Laney, who gave his opinion on Biden for this article. Photo courtesy of Miles Forshay (26).
Jacob Laney, who gave his opinion on Biden for this article. Photo courtesy of Miles Forshay (’26).

One constitutional right that many Chamblee seniors and juniors are excited to exercise soon is voting in government elections. With the United States’ next presidential election being only one year away, how do the students at Chamblee feel about our current president, Joe Biden, and his policies?

“Biden doesn’t seem to understand weapons while at the same time he’s trying to regulate them, which is kind of like telling a physics student from Chamblee to go build a rocket,” said Jacob Laney (‘25).

While many Chamblee Democrats believe there have been some hiccups in Biden’s term, many do think that he’s had some beneficial policies put in place.

“During his term, the unemployment rate went down, which is always good to see, and he hasn’t handled the war in Ukraine in the worst way he could’ve,” said Anya Bowers (‘24).

Some students think that [Biden’s] taken some positive actions during his term, but some others can’t ignore how his public image has changed since he was elected.

“He’s not very mentally focused, and it just appears to everyone that he doesn’t know how to do his job well. To a lot of people, he’s just a person that embarrasses himself too much to be looked at as a person that can run a country,” said Whittaker Dallas (‘25).

Additionally, many Chamblee students feel that he isn’t a good foreign ambassador for the United States.

“I don’t think he’s a good representative of our nation. He’s been in politics for so long, but I think it’s time for him to retire after this. He’s running for a second term, and I feel like if we’re such a great country, we don’t need a leader that can’t uphold that image,” said Sam Johnson (‘24).

Given all of these factors, many Chamblee students don’t think that [Biden] would perform well in his second term as president if he’s re-elected.

“[Biden] would probably push an agenda set for him by other people that students at Chamblee like. He’ll do good things, but he probably won’t do enough of them, and anything positive he does would be too little too late,” said Laney.

Although many believe Biden will win the primaries, there are other candidates who Chamblee students are more supportive of in the upcoming presidential election.

“Although he is technically a Republican, I think that Marco Rubio would be a great candidate. He’s far from radical, and [he] has many beliefs that align with both Republican and Democratic ideals. He’s young and has the budget for a campaign, so I feel like he’ll get a lot of votes,” said Dallas.

Marco Rubio isn’t the only candidate who some students would prefer over Biden.

“I love Marianne Williamson’s stances on foreign affairs, and I feel like her approach to civil rights is more appealing to me than Biden’s,” said Bowers.

Additionally, many students feel that more limitations on the presidency should be present in our federal government.

“There’s no upper age limit for the presidency, which is a problem because there’s generally no way to tell if a president’s lost their mental focus until it’s far too late. I feel like there should be a sort of mental test that presidents have to periodically go through just to determine if they’re fit to run a country,” said Dallas.

Although Chamblee students feel that Biden will win in the primaries, he isn’t the candidate many students would choose to lead the country for the next four years given how the past three have been.

View Comments (1)