The Stigma of Music Taste 

Or what Spotify Wrapped gets wrong

I have always found it very difficult to define what my music taste is. I’ve also always been a bit embarrassed to share what I’m into because of a fear of getting judged by other people. People seem to be able to judge a lot about their person based on what they listen to, and I honestly don’t want people to get the wrong impressions of me, because I feel like my music taste does not represent me as a person at all. 

These insecurities about my music taste are always brought out specifically around this time of year because this is when Spotify Wrapped comes out. This year, and in past years, I would describe my Wrapped as what a depressed teenage girl would listen to, but I am not depressed. I’m just a teenage girl who likes to listen to sad music. 

This year my Wrapped did not define my year at all, because in the past year I’ve listened to much more music than in the past because I’ve gotten my driver’s license, and trust me I listen to happy music when I drive but the problem is the bad habit of listening to music to fall asleep that I’ve picked up in the past year. Very often in the past year I have turned on my “sleep” playlist at night and continued to listen to very slow/sad songs as I sleep for seven hours and listening to this one playlist for hours skewed my whole year. 

My whole Wrapped doesn’t include a single happy song, and I don’t think that’s a good representation of my year at all. Also, my artists, yes, I’m a fan of Gracie Abrams, Lizzy McAlpine, Taylor Swift, and SZA, and even Olivia Rodrigo, but to be honest I’m not that big of a fan. I listened to these artists more than others completely unintentionally. 

I was expecting more diversity on my Wrapped because I enjoy listening to more than just pop, but you can’t even tell from this short summary. I want to know how to broaden my taste, but I also feel like my taste is already pretty broad. I listen to music from Stevie Wonder to Zach Bryan, Jack Johnson, and Morgan Wallen. I feel as if you would never guess that from looking at my Wrapped. Music taste can show a lot about a person, but at the same time, you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, so I don’t think you should judge people by their music taste. At the end of the day music is just the noise we listen to, so our brain doesn’t get too bored.