How Do I Pickup My Chromebook?

DeKalb County introduced chromebooks to their middle and high school students in February of the 2017-18 school year. Even so, some students have found themselves confused on if and how the process has changed for this year. English teacher Zachary Welser, co-head of chromebook deployment along with assistant principal Gail Barnes, sat down with The Blue & Gold to address some common rumors and concerns.

One of those problems was the question of insurance.

“Originally the county stated that there would be no insurance this year,” said Welser, “I believe they encountered significant push-back…and decided to implement the $20 insurance fee again.”

That fee of $20 is significantly smaller than having to pay $300 for a damaged or stolen chromebook.

Other students wondered how they should pay for their insurance.

“It’s super easy to do…click on the ‘Digital Dreamers’ tab from the Chamblee High webpage,” said Welser. “[Then] click on sign-up, enter [your] student number without the ‘s’ and follow the directions [on the website].”

Welser also clarified on when each class should pick up their computers.

“The plan as of now is for each grade to get theirs over a two day period in their social studies class. The seniors will finish up Friday, August 17. The juniors will then go the 20th and 21st, followed by the sophomores the 22nd and 23rd. The freshman will finish with the 24th and the 27th,” said Welser.

Dual enrollment students not enrolled in a social studies class at Chamblee should stop by the media center whenever possible, and pick it up on their own time.

“My thinking is that they can just come to the media center when they arrive at school or before leaving and get the necessary forms and bring them back the following day to obtain the chromebook,” said Welser.

Those who were unable to pay for insurance through the digital system are encouraged to try again.

“The website had a glitch on Tuesday night when many of the seniors tried to pay,” said Welser. “The county was aware of it. By the time I’d learned of it…[they] had already corrected it.”

Further questions can be directed to Welser during school or through email at [email protected]. Insurance payment can be accessed by visiting http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/digital-dreamers/ and selecting the sign-up option.