What’s that App? Chamblee Students’ Cool, Quirky Apps

Noah Cranman using his app on apple sauce. Photo courtesy of Elijah Ritchey.

With the hours most teenagers spend on their phones each day, it’s hard to imagine life without the helpful, entertaining, and unique apps we use frequently. From reward points for food to arguments over which navigation app to use, Chamblee students use a variety of new and cool apps. However, some apps are more unique than others. One such app is Yuka.

“With Yuka, you basically get to scan anything at the grocery store, like dishwasher soap or food products, and it tells you how healthy it is,” said Noah Cranman (‘24).

This app comes in handy when you are working to be health-conscious.

“Yuka helps with my diet and getting fit, so I can make sure I’m eating the right foods to remain in shape for soccer,” said Cranman.

A similar app to Yuka is Picture This, which scans plants.

“Picture This is an app that identifies plants. You can take a picture of the plants and it will tell [you] if it’s healthy, poisonous, or edible,” said Theo Pappas (‘25).

This app comes in handy in several ways.

“I have a few houseplants at home, so I sometimes use the app if a plant looks like it’s dying. The app checks on the plant’s status to tell you what the plant needs. Also, you can take a picture of a friend […] to find out what plant they are,” said Pappas.

For students looking for an interactive reminder to stay hydrated, Rachael Staskiewicz (‘26) has an app where you take care of a plant.

“I use an app called Plant Nanny practically every day, because I forget to drink water. This app just sends me reminders to drink water, and it’s adorable. It has a little plant that you can water or feed by drinking water, and the plant can become depressed if you don’t,” said Staskiewicz.

A more necessary app for students with diabetes is the Dexcom app.

“The Dexcom app tracks my blood sugar. I use it all the time because I’m diabetic, and it pops up on my phone and shows me my blood sugar. I mainly use it to track the daily trends of my blood sugar, and for warnings of when my blood sugar is too high or low,” said Mary Entrekin (‘25).

Some apps are more for entertainment.

“I have an app called Pou, and it’s a virtual pet app,” said Oliver Cady (‘25). “Pou is a little blob and you can play games with him, buy him clothes, and feed him.” 

Chamblee students’ unique apps help to assist, entertain, remind, and make menial tasks more fun. Why use an app that is anything but unique?