Game, Set, Match: Girls’ Tennis Season Starting

Chamblee’s girls’ tennis team.

The Chamblee girls’ tennis team has begun readying their rackets and getting back into practices in preparation for the upcoming season. The team members are ready for an eventful season with many memories and wins headed their way. 

Last year, the team consisted of many seniors who have since graduated, leaving room for many newer players. 

“I am a little nervous about [the upcoming season] only because the team is a lot different than what it was last year. I’ve never played on the high school team before, so it’s new, but I’m ready to see what happens,” said Brianna Harper (‘26).

Returning players are wary of how the new players will perform in the new season but also optimistic that the new players will bring something new to the team. 

“We got a lot of new players who haven’t really played before. I think that because they haven’t played before, they are going to get good fast,” said Harper. 

Chamblee girls’ tennis team member preparing to serve during practice.

The coaches are ready to help the new and returning players prepare for the approaching season at the team’s practices.

“The coaches are really supportive, and they organize everything for us, which is nice. They are pretty great,” said Kei Henderson (‘26). 

The coaches have prepared practices to help the players improve their abilities as fast and as efficiently as possible for the approaching season. 

“We did a lot of volleying and rallies, and we did a few running drills as well to get ready to do a lot of foot movement. I think it went pretty well,” said Harper. 

The players all worked hard at the first practice of the season and the team members were able to support each other when needed. 

“Everybody did really great, and there weren’t a lot of mistakes. If there were any, then we were able to help correct them,” said Harper. 

The team members rely on each other to create a fun environment where they can all practice and enjoy playing tennis together.  

“I think we have the potential, we just need to practice more and be more of a team,” said Henderson. 

After several losses last year and a performance some were not happy with, the team is ready to up its game this year and do its best to exceed expectations. 

“We did pretty well last year, but we could have done better. Overall though we were pretty proud of ourselves,” said Anna Kate Flood (‘26). 

While the JV team has many newer players, the varsity team has many returning players who are ready to win. 

“I do have high hopes for the varsity team. I think they are all skilled players, and they are really consistent,” said Harper. 

The players know that the most important thing for the team is that they work their hardest and support each other through everything. 

Henderson said, “We lost a lot of good seniors last year, but I’m hoping that we can still be like a team and a community and work through it.”