Math Team Sends Abeyakaran to Lithonia in Blockbuster Trade

Jack Bennett, Author

In an effort to rebuild a perennial dynasty of a program, the Chamblee Math team has moved star junior Chenthuran Abeyakaran to Lithonia High School for two sophomores and a promising freshman. While it was hard to lose such a dominant presence on the team, the return was just too good to pass up.

“We got an offer from Lithonia for a couple of sophomores that we’d been scouting for a while, but we didn’t want to lose [Abeyakaran],” said an anonymous Math team front office member. “But when we pushed it to include [freshman Jalik] Willis, and they accepted, we knew we had to pull the trigger.”

The return would look very good if even two of the prospects pan out. The two Sophomores, Andrew Eichels and Cecilia Brown, show good size and a projectable skillset. One of the major pluses was their diverse set of knowledge. Eichels is a very talented calculus star, and Brown is known for her geometry skill, although she is a bit of a GO (geometry-only player) so that limits her ceiling. And Willis is an all around talent. Some scouts have called him a very raw player, but at least one mock draft website has him in the top five for 2018-2019.

Abeyakaran was last year’s all-star game MVP and is deep into a stellar third season, but with only a year and a half left on his contract, the value Chamblee got for him is surely good for the program.

“I knew it was coming for a while,” said Abeyakaran. “I think it might stem from my problems with management.”

The trade breaks up a group known as “the formula five” that won most of Chamblee’s trophies over the last few years. Abeyakaran leaves a team that finished second in state for a team that finished 19th last year.

“There’s not much time to turn this season around (at Lithonia), but next year, I hope to win state with this bunch,” said Abeyakaran. “It would be especially nice to beat a team that traded me away.”

While Chamblee sits in seventh this year, this trade really looks to the future, as Math Illustrated has the Bulldogs ranked as the top team in Georgia for 2018 and 2019.

“I know we’re outside the top ten this year, but with this trade and the seniors we have for next year, I think Chenthuran makes us a serious contender,” said a Lithonia executive.

The trade will be exciting for the sophomores and freshman because they will be able to witness a top math team in high school. But the Chamblee math team’s juniors and seniors are sad to see their friend have to switch schools, and with him any State Championship chances for next season.

“I would like to thank the Chamblee community and my coaches for two and a half excellent seasons. Y’all gave me a home and allowed me to grow as a player, and as for Lithonia I’m excited to lead us to a title,” said Abeyakaran.